Birmingham or Manchester half?

1 watcher
Jul 2016
1:55pm, 26 Jul 2016
13,818 posts
  •  
Gooner
I'm stuck trying to decide between running either the Birmingham or Manchester half as they're both on the same day.

I've done Brum a few times back in 2009/2010 and enjoyed it but am woriied about the whole 'Great Run' thing and that it will now just be rammed.
I'm a Manchester virgin but hear it's well organised and a fast course (and who doesn't like a PB attempt).

Has anybody ran in both recently and could help steer me one way or the other?

TIA.

G.
Jul 2016
2:15pm, 26 Jul 2016
3,415 posts
  •  
Nelly
It's the first year of the Manchester Half this year, so nobody will have ran both events to directly compare them. However, the Manchester Half is organised by, and on a fairly similar route to, the Grater Manchester Marathon, so the best you can probably hope for is somebody to compare the GM Marathon with the Great Birmingham Run.

There have been well documented issues with a short course at GMM for a few years, due to an error in the course measurement, but that was resolved for this year's marathon, so I'd expect no such issues for the half. And there was an issue with the baggage store this year, which I believe was down to a late change in arrangements by Lancashire County Cricket ground (where the race village was moved to this year), but again I wouldn't expect a repeat of that. With regard to the half marathon route, I ran it in training last Wednesday, and with the exception of a few bridges over the railway line it's pretty flat, and hence I'd expect some quick times. If you do decide to join us in Manchester, then there's a race thread here http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=58439
Jul 2016
2:44pm, 26 Jul 2016
13,821 posts
  •  
Gooner
Thanks for that Nelly. The main draws of both are really PB potential at Manchester or ease of access and knowing the course at Brum....

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Gooner
I'm stuck trying to decide between running either the Birmingham or Manchester half as they're bot...