•  
Sloggerian
Cheers dude. We'll see you at the next one - 4th december
Nov 2010
10:14am, 1 Nov 2010
1,455 posts
  •  
ndellar
My lasting memory of Saturday's XC race @ Leamington is getting bitten by some critter on the ankles and not being able to run properly yesterday as my right leg had ballooned up, was itchy and felt bruised. Insect bites in almost November? WTF!. :-o

We were standing yelling at people and generally being silly by the muddy puddle, it was quite funny to spectate there, we saw some pretty impressive leaps over it from the leaders, some falls, a lost shoe (not as impressive as Andy Money though!) and some people in road shoes taking a *very* long time to get out.

I liked the course @ Leamington, it had a bit of everything - I'm not moaning but the Ladies course is supposed to be 6k-ish and was almost 7.5k, that came as a bit of a shock! At least I didn't have to queue to get over the line this week!
Nov 2010
10:20am, 1 Nov 2010
3,131 posts
  •  
Sloggerian
Thanks for the support N, managed to make it over the puddle all 3 times thankfully
Nov 2010
10:30am, 1 Nov 2010
12,509 posts
  •  
SPR™
Red shoes have been showered and are now red again ;-).

I don't think the course could cope with the numbers in the mens race. You lose a lot of time running in single file with no possibility of overtaking.
Nov 2010
10:38am, 1 Nov 2010
1,456 posts
  •  
ndellar
Yes, the mens race was huge, and I know what you mean on some of those paths I can imagine how it would be with 3 mens divisions (trying to) stampede down there, and a D1 runner getting stuck behind an old codger from D3... frustrating. The women's field usually spreads out quite early and I'm usually near the back so never have that problem. We did see some of the leaders in the mens race lap people by the puddle, it got quite chaotic there for a couple of mins.

Did anyone see there were 2 guys with I-pods. I don't want to stir up a debate but that is the first time I have EVER seen I-pods at an XC race I hope someone told them off.

The other option to avoid the crowds is to get to the front and stay there - no congestion problem solved! :-p
Nov 2010
10:54am, 1 Nov 2010
3,133 posts
  •  
Sloggerian
I'm glad you said that get to the front thing, it saved me doing it ;-)

I saw those Ipod guys too - I think they were loughborough students. Idiots
Nov 2010
10:56am, 1 Nov 2010
12,511 posts
  •  
SPR™
Lol. True! The problem is I like to race XC progressively which works quite well with multiple laps but may fall foul of the size of the field.

Ipods on that course with that many people is madness! One guy went down at the start but luckily didn't get trampled.

Were you supporting on the finishing straight at the end with HOD?
Nov 2010
11:35am, 1 Nov 2010
1,457 posts
  •  
ndellar
Yes, we were by the puddle for a bit, saw you and Slogger and then most SRC runners go through it, we then started moving towards the finish line, we saw both of you come in. HoD was just having a little jog about whilst I was running in the Ladies race.

The mens results are up btw birminghamccleague.co.uk still waiting for ours.
Nov 2010
1:53pm, 1 Nov 2010
12,512 posts
  •  
SPR™
lol @ the puddle. I watched a bit of the women's race with HOD while supporting our ladies team before our race.

There's pics of the womens and mens race on my clubs flickr site. I'll post links later, probably on the XC thread as its time to re-awaken it.
Nov 2010
2:08pm, 1 Nov 2010
1,458 posts
  •  
ndellar
Would be good if you can share the links - I finished about 5 mins before the men's race went off and by that time the (Centurion?) photographer had moved to get in to position for their start so I just missed getting snapped at the line (not that it would have been a pretty picture!)

About This Thread

Maintained by SPR
Thread for the annual Birmingham Half Marathon

Now this has become a Bupa race, there is a new thread: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=45859

Official site: birminghamhalfmarathon.com

Group (from last year's race: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/groups-view.php?id=551