BIKE THREAD

1 lurker | 198 watchers
Aug 2021
9:31pm, 23 Aug 2021
7,864 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Thanks for that, now I see what you mean about critical chain length. I will give it a go!

I didn't fancy swapping out the cage sides anyway, I'm now convinced!
Aug 2021
9:32pm, 23 Aug 2021
7,865 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Thanks for that, now I see what you mean about critical chain length. I will give it a go!

I didn't fancy swapping out the cage sides anyway, I'm now convinced!
Aug 2021
9:47pm, 23 Aug 2021
20,703 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
Also...... I NEVER use the two largest sprockets in the big ring...... it just about goes, but is way too tight for comfort.
I'm pretty OCD about never cross-chaining!
Aug 2021
10:01pm, 23 Aug 2021
7,866 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I try not to. It's an odd thing, I'm just getting used to 11 speed and unless I'm mistaken it does seem that you have a wider spread of gears in the little ring, almost like it's encouraging cross-chaining.
Aug 2021
7:49am, 24 Aug 2021
2,146 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
I find the newer shadow mount rear mechs a bit more of an arse to setup at extremes compared to older designs. I created a 34-34 setup on my CX bike for the 3pcx, but it's very easy to end up with the mech body bumping into the chain stay at the other extreme. Not too much trouble for CX where it's rarely fast enough, but may be more annoying on road.

I gather cross chaining can be not uncommon amongst pros in punchy terrain, where having to ease off to switch chainrings across the top of a climb can be sufficient to lose the wheel. For most of us, that's not really an issue!
Aug 2021
4:15pm, 28 Aug 2021
15,281 posts
  •  
larkim
Any hints for getting a pannier rack to fit a gravel bike with a 12x142mm axle? Son has just got himself an eBay Cannondale Topstone but with zero experience of pannier racks he bought a bog standard decathlon rack assuming the fit was pretty universal, but it seems to be far too narrow to span the mounting points at the rear.

Searching online, most of the racks don't really seem to mention which width of axle they are suitable for
Aug 2021
5:23pm, 28 Aug 2021
2,786 posts
  •  
Oranj
Can you not cold set it by leaving it out in the sunshine for an hour to warm up and then tweaking it open a bit more?

(Used to be a favourite trick with steel frames to ahem, 'adjust' the rear dropout width :-) Not that I've ever done it ~whistles~ )
rhb
Aug 2021
7:17pm, 28 Aug 2021
1,790 posts
  •  
rhb
I've fitted racks on the inside of the mounting points before. Just ensure nothing will foul owt else, particularly the chain on the smallest sprocket.
Aug 2021
9:28am, 29 Aug 2021
15,284 posts
  •  
larkim
Thanks both. The mounting bolts are only open on the outside so inside mounting is a no-go. With a bit of brute force I've splayed it out a little and got it bolted on, bit it doesn't feel "right" doing it like that. Having said that, it is now on at least!!
Dec 2021
4:39pm, 14 Dec 2021
8,318 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Can anyone recommend a good pair of winter bike gloves? My old Sealskinz gloves are falling to bits and I think I'll ask Bobs for a new pair for Christmas.

Any advice gratefully received.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP