BIKE THREAD

1 lurker | 198 watchers
Oct 2020
8:19pm, 11 Oct 2020
33,852 posts
  •  
Toks
lol Dvorak 🤣 managing to stay on my bike is always a miracle lol, now am riding in confidence and enjoying music on playlist and talking on my phone too whilst riding, not able to do all that before

glad you enjoy your coastal bike ride 😃
Oct 2020
10:58am, 21 Oct 2020
21,092 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I'm wondering if it might be time for some new bar tape.

Read a couple of recent articles and looked up oj line and gosh, it's rather expensive! (With the odd exception, but i had quite nice tape, and the more padded the better.). Any recommendations? Preferably also reasonably easy to apply. I did tape an old bike about twenty years ago, but i suspect tape might be a bit different now.
Oct 2020
11:26am, 21 Oct 2020
8,941 posts
  •  
simbil
Surely good for a few more miles yet :)

Last tape I used was Deda self adhesive - was easy enough to put on and feels ok. Make sure you wind it on the right direction otherwise it works itself loose quickly.
Oct 2020
10:36am, 22 Oct 2020
18,832 posts
  •  
Gooner
Plenty of videos out there on how to put it on, you will probably want a bit of electical tape to finish it too but most are reasonably self adhesive these days.

I would say to spend a little more on it though, it's worth it for the longevity and comfort. I have however heard good things about this stuff...

m.bikester.co.uk
Oct 2020
11:13am, 22 Oct 2020
21,108 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Cheers :-) Been relieved to find there are tapes cheaper than the £30+ Supakush and Fizik I was first looking at! On the Pro, looking at this also mantel.com which is describe as for gravel and poor road surfaces. Well, there's plenty of the latter round here. The existing tape is fairly padded, and perforated. Original tape, so lasted over 11 000 km / 8 years.

The link to Mantel would be handy, as I was looking at a couple of other bits from there it would be free shipping. As it happens, Bikester (Gooner's link) was where my last bike bits delivery came from. Buy now whilst still in EU :-o
Oct 2020
3:25pm, 22 Oct 2020
18,845 posts
  •  
Gooner
I recently got a Thule child seat for my bike off Mantel. They do seem to have very good prices for certain things.... for now!
Nov 2020
9:28pm, 7 Nov 2020
33,889 posts
  •  
Toks
Cycling duties today, 7 miler in the bag, in 1:15, weather wasn’t too bad and i loved it
Nov 2020
9:41am, 9 Nov 2020
18,973 posts
  •  
Gooner
It is decent weather for it atm. No biting cold winds and the rain has eased off. I wonder how long it will last...
Nov 2020
1:27pm, 9 Nov 2020
8,383 posts
  •  
GordonG
Hi all. quick questions about brakes

My 4 year old Cube uses Shimano R50T brakes shoes, like these bike-discount.de

i assume they're now discontinued as i'm finding it harder to buy them anywhere (they're not even listed on Shimano's own site).

Would appreciate it if someone could give me an idea of an alternative brake block that will fit.

thanks in advance.
Nov 2020
2:20pm, 9 Nov 2020
8,965 posts
  •  
simbil
Try googling 'br-4600 shoe' instead - I think that is them and it seems plenty of places still do them.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP