bike shoes

5 watchers
May 2011
4:56pm, 5 May 2011
145 posts
  •  
sprouty76
I know this is a real beginners question, but I'm thinking about sticking some clipless pedals on my MTB in preperation for getting a road bike later in the year. Basically, do the cleats need to be bought seperately, or do they come with the pedals? Or with the shoes, for that matter?
May 2011
6:26pm, 5 May 2011
46,144 posts
  •  
GregP
Not a silly question by any means - it is far from obvious if you don't know - they come with the pedals.
May 2011
6:26pm, 5 May 2011
46,145 posts
  •  
GregP
Compare and contrast with ski bindings, which come neither with the boots nor the skis - no wonder people ask this question so frequently.
May 2011
6:31pm, 5 May 2011
151 posts
  •  
sprouty76
Cool. Cheers Greg!
May 2011
6:06pm, 6 May 2011
227 posts
  •  
Lisa T
Hello, another beginner here. I have Shimano SPD MTB shoes which I used with my hybrid without SPD pedals. I am getting a road bike & would like to be clipped in but don't want to have to buy new shoes just yet so was going to use my MTB shoes & get some pedals. I'm a little confused about what are the right pedals. Is it literally anything that says SPD is ok? Or do I need a specific type of SPD pedal? Is there somewhere I can check compatibility? Can anyone help? Hope I'm making sense. Thanks :-)
May 2011
6:09pm, 6 May 2011
829 posts
  •  
Just Matt
Any SPD pedal will work with your SPD shoe :-)
May 2011
6:09pm, 6 May 2011
46,160 posts
  •  
GregP
There *is* some confusion here. SPDs are SPDs - mountain bike/touring pedals that some people (predominantly beginners, but this isn't a slur) use on road bikes.

The confusion is with SPD-SL, which is a road pedal similar to Look Deltas.

Does that make sense? SPD is SPD. SPD-SL is something else entirely.
May 2011
6:10pm, 6 May 2011
229 posts
  •  
Lisa T
Great thanks Matt. Doesn't take much to confuse me ;-)
May 2011
6:11pm, 6 May 2011
230 posts
  •  
Lisa T
Yep, that makes sense too Greg thanks. Just SPD - no other bits & I'll be fine. Yep, I was planning on using them cos as a beginner I was hoping I'd fall off less! ;-)
May 2011
10:07pm, 12 May 2011
11 posts
  •  
ivanhoe
making the transition from mountain to road bike, have spd pedals on both bikes, looking at these road shoes,

wiggle.co.uk
any opinions or alternatives thanks :)

About This Thread

Maintained by Shin-Twigs
Hi,
i'm getting a road bike tomorrow (excitement!) as have been using OH's for triathlon training...