Bike Saddles

3 watchers
Feb 2012
11:00am, 25 Feb 2012
11,699 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Is this kit or *shudder* triathlon?

Anyway. As I have started doing more cycling I have started to notice how my saddle isn't particularly comfy. Its just a Bontrager one that came with the bike, nothing special.
Looking around reveals what I thought would be the case- there are millions of saddles available, in different shapes and at pretty much any price up to £200.

My question is: seeing as how this seems to be a very individual thing, based on arse shape and size which won't be the same for everyone, how do you know which one suits? Do places do trial saddles? (my LBS doesn't)

Any advice? My discomfort is mostly related to an ache in the pressure areas at the back of the buttocks/'sit bones', everything else is OK.

Should I just HTFU?
Feb 2012
11:03am, 25 Feb 2012
18,011 posts
  •  
Maclennane
May be your position on the saddle? I've got a thing that looks like a kitchen knife on mine but it's twice as comfy as anything else I've had and doesn't make my balls numb
Feb 2012
11:06am, 25 Feb 2012
11,700 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I shift around a lot on the saddle. Back on the climbs, forward on the flats and all that.
I did wonder about a thinner one.
How do you know though? Is it just trial and error?
Feb 2012
11:08am, 25 Feb 2012
18,012 posts
  •  
Maclennane
Was for me, but then I've not trialled many. The fatter the saddle the worse it is for me, but then my personal padding is considerable. Can you test ride a couple of bikes with different saddles?
Feb 2012
11:16am, 25 Feb 2012
11,701 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Good idea, never thought of trialling the bikes rather than the saddles.
Feb 2012
12:11pm, 25 Feb 2012
1,979 posts
  •  
CatterickClaire
Go to your LBS & tell them what your problem is & they should be able to suggest a few saddles. I went to mine & and they were very helpful & I love my saddle, best one I've ever had.
Feb 2012
12:17pm, 25 Feb 2012
11,704 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
All the bike nerds at my LBS have Fiziks. They were unanimous, I suppose there might be a message there.

They were very helpful, it just seemed a bit too unanimous, if you see what I mean.
Feb 2012
12:37pm, 25 Feb 2012
17,601 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
JohnnyO - I ride on a Fizik and it is really comfortable - I also get on well with Selle Italia. The bontrager that came with my Trek was hell on earth.

Saddles are really individual, and they just need to be the right shape for you as well as set up at the right angle, and like Maclennane you can find that more padding actually makes them more uncomfortable.

If an LBS won't let you try a few in store, see if you cant ride a few diffwerent ones on other people's bikes. If you were up here I'd be happy for you to try out the saddles I have
Feb 2012
1:26pm, 25 Feb 2012
11,706 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Its a Bonty that is causing the discomfort. I am going to try to tilt it a little, which sounds like it might help.
I will also try some of the other shops, though I don't hold out much hope for what I will get in Evans- they all seem to be hardcore downhill types.

I have my first bike 'event' tomorrow (its not a race, I can't call it a race, I will try to beat anybody I see in front of me though).
Might ask around there.
Feb 2012
1:42pm, 25 Feb 2012
2,451 posts
  •  
MoscowFlyer
Sella San Marco Rolls, it's an absolute pleasure on the arse.

About This Thread

Maintained by JohnnyO
Is this kit or *shudder* triathlon?

Anyway. As I have started doing more cycling I have started t...