Bike People - fixing / modyfying advice needed

2 watchers
Aug 2019
4:13pm, 24 Aug 2019
1,476 posts
  •  
beebop
It’s one of the ‘related threads’ at the end of the ‘what grinds your gears’ thread, if you were still wondering about the resurrection, Kieren. How’s the Brompton?
Nov 2019
9:37am, 6 Nov 2019
First-time poster!!
  •  
Leabriave
Hey there,

So I’ve been riding my daughters mountain bike but I’m looking to buy myself a proper bike to commute to work. All paved roads, some minor hills, 30kms there, 30kms home.

Really confused as to what type of bike to buy, I hate maintaining deraileurs and only ever use middle few gears anyway, so looking at limited gears? In hub geared bikes... also confused as to whether I should get a “ladies bike” - they all look like cruisers; but are these going to be up to the job of 30km riding?

I just want something that is going to last and be practical.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers!
Nov 2019
9:49am, 6 Nov 2019
18,941 posts
  •  
DeeGee
You see, if it wasn't for the distance, I'd have suggested Dutch. The sheer joy I got flying around Zeeland on a proper Dutch bike was superb. Fast, comfortable, with great storage space and very little to worry about.

18 miles each way would have been a bit of an ask, though.

Something like this perhaps?

wiggle.co.uk
Apr 2020
9:02am, 17 Apr 2020
11,154 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
So I've successfully replaced and reset the rear hanger, derailleur cassette and chain on MrsMMM's bike. 😁. But unfortunately the remaining chain slippage she's gets is from the front middle chain ring, so I need to replace that too.. is it worth just doing the one, or should I just buy a pre-built set of 3 on Amazon and do the whole lot?

Talking to her, I realised she'd never really grasped how cycle gears work anyway, and given we live in one of the flattest places in England and she normally only rides a couple of miles to commute, I suspect the use of rings 1 and 3 is very low! Certainly the wear on them is minimal.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Kieren
Hello Bike people,

I have a short commute to the train station and am thinking about getting an o...