Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Bike maintenance for dummies.

99 watchers
11 Oct
4:51pm, 11 Oct 2020
3936 posts
StuH
SUCCESS! Thought I was going to have to resort to a Dremel or hacksaw, but alternating between pullers and using quite a lot of force I finally got one to fully engage. The treads on the cranks are trashed but we were replacing them anyway.
12 Oct
11:18pm, 12 Oct 2020
19134 posts
Stepford Wife
If a crank has been on a while trashed threads are common enough. I’ve cut plenty off before now.
6 Nov
1:28pm, 6 Nov 2020
4149 posts
K5 Gus
When working out maximum rear tyre width, where the gap between the chain stays ( as opposed to the seat stays ) is the limiting factor, what is the recommended minimum gap to leave on each side between tyre and stay ?

eg if the gap is 36mm, would 2mm either side be ok and therefore could fit a 32mm tyre, or is more than 2mm recommended ?
6 Nov
2:34pm, 6 Nov 2020
1991 posts
MudMeanderer
I'm not sure what the recommended minimum would be, but a few things to consider.

Tyre width is nominal, so particular tyre/rim/pressure combinations may not be quite what's quoted.

If the wheel isn't perfectly true(probably not uncommon), or flexes a bit under load, such a small gap may be absorbed by that eccentricity.

You could also pick up road crap that may absorb that gap.

I'd probably want a bit more clearance for most purposes, but you could experiment.
6 Nov
8:24pm, 6 Nov 2020
19139 posts
Stepford Wife
What MM said. Sounds like he speaks from experience
6 Nov
8:35pm, 6 Nov 2020
4150 posts
K5 Gus
Thanks MM - all good points. So, if say min 4-5mm needed each side, looks like I'm better to stick with my 28mm's :-(

Was hoping to turn my hybrid "city bike" into more of a gravel bike for light trails, but may just stick with the hardtail for those paths
8 Nov
2:57pm, 8 Nov 2020
19140 posts
Stepford Wife
I’m surprised you can’t put wider tyres on a hybrid. 28 isn’t a wide tyre really.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
A thread for your questions about fixing common bike problems.

Need help naming a part? jimlangley.net

Close