Bike Locks

5 watchers
Jan 2012
4:16pm, 11 Jan 2012
445 posts
  •  
LizzieBean
So I've got my new road bike to start doing Tri's but I also want to cycle it to work.

Any suggestions on a good quality bike lock?

What is better? D lock, chain lock, combination, key, both?
Jan 2012
4:33pm, 11 Jan 2012
46,335 posts
  •  
Puddington
All of them, if the theft rate is anything like it is round here!
Jan 2012
4:35pm, 11 Jan 2012
446 posts
  •  
LizzieBean
Haahaa well I was considering more than one if neccessary! I don't want it to get stolen!

I've seen this one:

evanscycles.com

Just wondered if it's worth the money, they all seem so expensice. I see lots are made of kryptonite! Not even superman could steal that!
Jan 2012
4:37pm, 11 Jan 2012
1,463 posts
  •  
sprouty76
I use a D lock for the frame (and rear wheel, if I can fit it around whatever it's anchored to). Cable lock through the frame, anchor and front wheel (and rear if I can't get the d lock through it).

Different types of lock generally need different ways to defeat them, so having one of each means a potential thief will need to be better equiped and need more time to steal the bike. Only downside is that having 2 decent locks is quite heavy in a rucksack.
Jan 2012
4:44pm, 11 Jan 2012
3,855 posts
  •  
Lyra OK
Yep, it's worth the money. I lost a £800 road bike, because I was reasonably confident my bike lock would suffice. It didn't.

If you insure the bike check what kind of lock they specify. If it's the wrong type, they won't pay out in the event of you the bike getting nicked. Oh, and keep the reciept and any spare keys for the lock - they'll want you to provide those.

Watch this video and heed the advice well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR8jdnsP4Tc
Jan 2012
4:45pm, 11 Jan 2012
46,336 posts
  •  
Puddington
I use a D lock and a cable one, as well as it being in a secure cage. We do have a theft issue on campus!
Jan 2012
5:09pm, 11 Jan 2012
6,968 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
I rely on having an undesirable bike - it's worked so far.
Jan 2012
5:20pm, 11 Jan 2012
447 posts
  •  
LizzieBean
Lol Chris, I had been doing that but now i've upgraded I don't want to loose it! Thanks for the advice especially on the insurance, I will check their requirements.

I already have a combination cable lock, so will prob get another and use the two, at the same time.
Jan 2012
5:25pm, 11 Jan 2012
392 posts
  •  
golfpag
if it is insured it also has to be locked to something that is immoveable
Jan 2012
6:19pm, 11 Jan 2012
3,856 posts
  •  
Lyra OK
Oh, and these are good: immobilise.com Register the Immobitag and the bike's frame number with Immobilise. :)

About This Thread

Maintained by LizzieBean
So I've got my new road bike to start doing Tri's but I also want to cycle it to work.

Any sug...