Bike Help

2 watchers
Nov 2016
4:46pm, 22 Nov 2016
1,031 posts
  •  
LordWotsit
Hi guys

i am looking to purchase a road bike to help me get fit and to try a tri next year.

i have been looking at various bikes

Boardman, Scott, Giant, Cannondale

Would you advise staying away from any or looking at one more than others?

Thanks in advance
Nov 2016
4:53pm, 22 Nov 2016
1,337 posts
  •  
larkim
All depends on how much money you want to spend. A good bike from each of them will be good, and each of them will sell something which is less good VFM.

If you're after good value, Decathlon sell very good bikes which are well equipped, especially at the sub £500 level.

Giant Defy is often touted as the sound option as a first road bike.

And remember to save sufficient cash for helmet, lycra, lights, etc.
Nov 2016
4:56pm, 22 Nov 2016
4,964 posts
  •  
Winded
Buy one that fits. All of the main makes will sell you a good bike and for the same money they are often similar money.

If you are going above an entry level one the. It's a bit different but first fit then think about the quality/weight of the frame and of the groupset (the bits attached to the frame) then check again it is the right size. Lastly look at the brand name.

Having said that if you are looking at boardman it can (by repute) be a bit random - the problem is the lower end ones are only sold through Halfords and though the bikes are fine the guy in Halfords assembling them may not be. The local bike shop is the place if you don't know what you are buying.
Nov 2016
5:12pm, 22 Nov 2016
4,883 posts
  •  
cathrobinson
+1 for your local bike shop.

Can't go wrong with Giant / Specialized. Boardman are good bikes but Halfords don't have a good reputation for pairing people with the right bike...
Nov 2016
5:59pm, 22 Nov 2016
884 posts
  •  
Jubear
+1 for the Halfords comments. One of my Boardmans was well built up and has never given me a moment's concern, the other was slapped together by a different lad with a very different outcome. (Also, its a Friday afternoon bike :-p )

It's worth investing in a relationship with your local bike shop, from the start
Nov 2016
4:05pm, 23 Nov 2016
1,033 posts
  •  
LordWotsit
Thanks all, I could most probably do about £759. Open to any make, I am a complete novice on so any advice more than welcome

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by LordWotsit
Hi guys

i am looking to purchase a road bike to help me get fit and to try a tri next year.

i ...