Beyond Brontëmania - the literary fiction wire

40 watchers
Sep 2011
12:18pm, 12 Sep 2011
52,330 posts
  •  
GregP
Chrisull wrote on the Booker wire:

"I must be one of the few on here to have read Freedom. It's pretty much like the last Franzen novel, the Corrections, which is to say it's quite "soapy", the world is well constructed, nothing much happens other than day to day life, but the characters aren't entirely believable. (The faded "rock star" Katz is one, actually Jennifer Egan is more on the money with the Goon squad portrayal of deadbeat musicians, despite Monki's criticism of said title) It starts well, is well written, but prattles on too long and leaves you with a general feeling of "so what" by the time you get to the end... Having said that, there's far worse novels doing the rounds, Freedom for me approximates my idea of a holiday read/airport novel, does the job, is easygoing, doesn't linger in the mind, but I understand I might be in a minority here.

Also I was asked for a recommendation of one novel - ok mine would be Richard Powers - The Goldbug variations, Link to www.amazon.co.uk - it's definitely a doorstop of a novel, a love story intertwined with the search for the genetic codes around DNA in the 50s, lots of asides on cryptography, language, poetry, music, there is a plot of sorts, a librarian trying to find out why one of the top scientists of the 60s is now conducting midnight hours payroll processing in a warehouse down the road with no further ambitions in life. Why do people give up on their passions? I never knew much about genetics, nor thought I ever wanted to know about it until I read this book".

And from this mighty acorn may the tiny tree of the Fetchland 'literary fiction' wire grow.
Sep 2011
1:14pm, 12 Sep 2011
2,406 posts
  •  
windassisted
I haven't read Freedom but was hugely disappointed by The Corrections. I think I was expecting something momentous, given all the hype surrounding it at the time, but I found it dull.

I belong to a book group and we have gone through a period of reading books that I read some years ago. It's interesting how my opinions of them have changed, particularly the ones involving children. I do think that becoming a mother has had an effect on my reading; both the books I choose to read (when not reading a book club book) and how I think about them

Great idea for a thread btw. I suspect I will be lurking here a lot!
Sep 2011
1:24pm, 12 Sep 2011
52,340 posts
  •  
GregP
Can I urge you to join the group (see header)? Thank.

Later on, can we talk about "If on a winter's night a traveller")?
Sep 2011
1:41pm, 12 Sep 2011
6,584 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
I have read The Corrections, and as with almost every book I've read, I know I liked it but can't remember anything much. Something about a guy going through life like a golden retriever (or was it a labrador?) and Vilnius. Have The Corrections on the shelf but am struggling because it's a real book and not on my beloved Kindle.
Sep 2011
2:06pm, 12 Sep 2011
1,634 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
~ pulls up a wing-backed Chesterfield ~

~ lurks within its depths ~
Sep 2011
3:07pm, 12 Sep 2011
3,888 posts
  •  
Chrisull
windassisted - rereading books, so which books have you reread and how did your opinions change? I must admit I reread practically zero books, apart from reading childrens books back to the children.... Watership down, which I still enjoyed, and currently Treasure Island... I think a book would have to qualify as jaw droppingly awesome, and then if it is I get scared that if I reread it, it won't be as good as I remember it. I suppose my attitude stems mainly from the mountain of unread books I have next on my bedside table (at one point there was a separate pile that was taller than my bedside table!) But that strikes me as an odd attitude I have given that if I like a piece of music I'd play in continually over and over.

GregP - we can talk about "If on a winter's night" but I will need to reread, I think it blew my mind a bit when I first read it in my early 20s :-)
Sep 2011
3:09pm, 12 Sep 2011
52,369 posts
  •  
GregP
Chrisull - think we have An Idea. I read "If on a winter's night" in my early twenties too. I loved it, sticks in my mind that I loved it but that is as far as it goes. Alas my early twenties are half my lifetime ago...
Sep 2011
3:11pm, 12 Sep 2011
52,370 posts
  •  
GregP
On the subject of re-reading, I tend to re-read things that take no effort - and as often as not re-listen to them via Audible rather than reading per se. And it is the usual litany of Patrick O'Brian and Pratchett. Sorry.
Sep 2011
3:51pm, 12 Sep 2011
9,266 posts
  •  
RuthB2
I bought The Corrections when it was first out, but only got round to reading it recently. I must admit I found it a struggle, it was technically brilliant, but rather formulaic and I couldn't feel anything for any of the characters. I know that isn't necessary to enjoy or appreciate a book, but I couldn't find anything to grab me. I did finish it, but wouldn't recommend it.
Sep 2011
3:52pm, 12 Sep 2011
9,267 posts
  •  
RuthB2
And I'd be very interested to hear a definition of 'literary fiction'.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
From this mighty acorn may the tiny tree of the Fetchland 'literary fiction' wire grow.