Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Beyond Brontëmania - the literary fiction wire

40 watchers
14 Jul
9:30am, 14 Jul 2020
16331 posts
Chrisull
I don't mind caustic people, Knut Hamsun and Louis Ferdinand Celine both became Hitler supporting fascists and yet penned wonderful novels before then (Hunger - Hamsun and Celine - Death on credit and Journey to the end of the night) although you could see how they could make the journey into idiotic realms. I don't mind that Shriver's politically not my cup of tea, I just thought her cancer book was miserable, unsympathetic, blunt and not very well written, so I've steered clear since then.
15 Jul
8:12pm, 15 Jul 2020
121271 posts
GregP
Is this a safe place to admit I havenae read any Hilary Mantel? I was castigated in strong terms busy a volunteer from English Heritage today, atop a rampart in Battle.
15 Jul
8:13pm, 15 Jul 2020
16839 posts
northernslowcoach
I haven't either Greg
WA
15 Jul
10:27pm, 15 Jul 2020
7218 posts
WA
Nor me. I have the trilogy as an audio book, but not loving it so far, and have been distracted by a Northumberland crime series
16 Jul
8:16am, 16 Jul 2020
121274 posts
GregP
A Northumberland crime series sounds much more fun.
16 Jul
8:19am, 16 Jul 2020
51055 posts
Diogenes
The Tudor books are political thrillers with huge psychological depth
WA
16 Jul
4:45pm, 16 Jul 2020
7219 posts
WA
I think I would enjoy them if I could get going with them! I wonder if it's one of those books that makes more sense when you read it rather than listening to it.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
From this mighty acorn may the tiny tree of the Fetchland 'literary fiction' wire grow.

Close