Best training methods for a marathon

4 watchers
Apr 2012
10:14pm, 23 Apr 2012
21,098 posts
  •  
Nellers
To add a bit more detail do a progressively longer run once a week at a very easy pace. Build the distance up to 20 miles but every 3rd or 4th week cut it back a bit so you get an easy week to recover properly.

Other than that get out and run for half an hour to an hour as often as you can manage, and keep it nice and easy. If you can run with a mate and chat that's a good guide to keeping the pace easy enough. If the conversation gets cut short then you're running too fast.

As you progress you might want to make one of your mid=week runs (assuming your long run is a weekender) a bit longer, maybe up to 10 miles eventually.

And enjoy it! It's meant to be fun.

Good luck.
Apr 2012
10:58am, 24 Apr 2012
9 posts
  •  
billie whizz
Thanks for replies, its a big help
Apr 2012
11:29am, 24 Apr 2012
1,132 posts
  •  
Mark J
Run a lot and then do a bit more. As everyone else says LSR are the key.
Apr 2012
11:49am, 24 Apr 2012
35 posts
  •  
chesilboy
I definitely support the long SLOW run approach, one LSR a week. The emphasis is definitely on SLOW, and this means very slow - about 2 minutes a mile slower than race pace. I did my LSRs at 9:10 pace and ran the race at 7:12 pace. This can be chronically boring but conditioning the mind is all part of it. Practice your nutrition strategy during these LSRs - energy drink / gels etc..

I run 5 times a week for 6 - 8 weeks before a marathon. Maybe:

1 x LSR (16,18, 20, 20, 22, 20, 18 etc..) dead slow
1 x 10 miler, medium pace
1 x 7 miler, medium/fast
1 x 9 mile XC club run
1 x 5 mile XC easy

Nothing too rigid, mix it up a bit, throw in a few XC runs - they are great for muscle strength and reduced impact.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by burroughs
Doing the luton marathon in november and dont know much about marathon training but was wondering wa...