Best road and trail shoes for wide feet!

8 watchers
Apr 2022
6:03am, 17 Apr 2022
455 posts
  •  
-Ruthie-
Hello all :)

I can't seem to get a pair of shoes just now that I'm comfortable with - it's driving me nuts! Any recommendations for road and trail shoes for someone with wide feet that heel strikes and likes a bit of cushioning will be most welcome. Slight overpronation on one foot, other 'normal' - usually need a pair with a bit more support. Been wearing New Balance 860 which are ancient and bursting now, was looking to try a different brand out just for a change but can't get one that feels right. Might be sticking with the 860s !
Apr 2022
6:06am, 17 Apr 2022
456 posts
  •  
-Ruthie-
Should have mentioned - looking for 2 pairs of shoes ! One for trail, one for road :)
ta !
Apr 2022
7:15am, 17 Apr 2022
46,702 posts
  •  
Bintmcskint
Hi Ruthie :-)

I like Hoka for both trail and road and they and have wide feet versions of their models.
Not sure if they do wide versions of all of them. I buy the regular ones and find them already wider than some brands.

You might want to go up half a size from your usual shoe brand for Hoka as they come up small.
I buy 5.5 in other running shoe brands but a 6 in Hoka.

Hopefully someone else will be along with other suggestions :-)
Apr 2022
7:29am, 17 Apr 2022
4,166 posts
  •  
Goofee
I'm also very keen on wide fitting Hokas and agree with Bintmcskint about the sizing.

Another option is Altra, though they are zero drop which not everyone gets on with successfully.
Apr 2022
7:33am, 17 Apr 2022
1,244 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
I think Hoka Clifton Edge is actually made for a heel striker, also, they probably is available in “wide” as well.
Apr 2022
7:33am, 17 Apr 2022
1,245 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
Also, I think “altra” trail shoes is extra wide fitting.
Apr 2022
7:34am, 17 Apr 2022
1,246 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
Sorry I missed goofee’s answer.
Apr 2022
7:39am, 17 Apr 2022
69,001 posts
  •  
Diogenes
New Balance do wide fittings in many of their shoes, road and trail. Look for the 2E or even 4E widths.

As someone who needs a wide-fitting shoe, I’ve not found another brand that suits me.
Apr 2022
7:40am, 17 Apr 2022
69,002 posts
  •  
Diogenes
[ignore me if you already have wide-fitting NBs and just fzz as icy a chzz as NHS of brand]
Apr 2022
7:41am, 17 Apr 2022
69,003 posts
  •  
Diogenes
[what? That last bit should sat “just fancy a change of brand”]

About This Thread

Maintained by -Ruthie-
Hello all :)

I can't seem to get a pair of shoes just now that I'm comfortable with - it's driving me nuts! Any recommendations for road and trail shoes for someone with wide feet that heel strikes and likes a bit of cushioning will be most welcome. Slight overpronation on one foot, other 'normal' - usually need a pair with a bit more support. Been wearing New Balance 860 which are ancient and bursting now, was looking to try a different brand out just for a change ...