Best Races in the NW

3 watchers
Jul 2017
11:36am, 7 Jul 2017
24 posts
  •  
Akie
Any races you'd recommend for 2017 or 2018 around the North West of England?
Jul 2017
11:41am, 7 Jul 2017
7,279 posts
  •  
becca7
Four Villages Half Marathon in January is a good one.
Jul 2017
12:35pm, 7 Jul 2017
1,168 posts
  •  
CumbriAndy
Lots - could you please narrow the criteria a little.

Preferred distance?
Road/off road?
Urban/rural?
Flat/Hilly/Mountainous?

Thanks
Jul 2017
12:47pm, 7 Jul 2017
25 posts
  •  
Akie
Well I'm open to any suggestions as I mostly race on road at 5/10K in trying to improve my PBs but happy to try anything up to half marathon which might involve hills etc. Be a bit different for me.
Jul 2017
5:50pm, 7 Jul 2017
1,169 posts
  •  
CumbriAndy
Thanks, that's helpful. I've also had a quick look at your profile/portfolio - looks like you're in the Greater Manchester area so I'll allow for that in the following.

I've not done any paid 5ks so can't really help there - looks like you're aware of parkrun so I won't insult you by pointing in that direction. Similarly, I tend not to travel for 10ks and doubt our South Lakes summer midweek races would be inconvenient.

The Lancaster Race Series events are always worth turning out for - http://www.lancaster-race-series.co.uk. A selection of distances throughout the year.

Similarly, the events in the Fylde area are well staged - but obviously trips to Blackpool are not everybody's cup of tea. Also in that area - have a look at the Freckleton half (June) and the Guy's 10 miler (December).

If you want to come up this way, you'll be spoiled for choice - if you enjoyed the Derwentwater Trail race when you did that then any of those are worth a look. Half marathon(ish)-wise, have a look at Haweswater, the Coniston 14 and the Dentdale run (all March), Keswick in May and the Great Cumbrian Run (Carlisle) in October(?). Derwentwater 10 miler is great in November while the Brampton to Carlisle 10 (October?) is good for fast times. Down in what appears to be your direction, I've heard very good things about the Stockport 10.

Race listing at ukresults.net is always a good source of ideas and sometimes has things not on here.

Any help?
Jul 2017
6:12pm, 7 Jul 2017
44,477 posts
  •  
swittle
CumbriAndy, you have excellent taste! :) 80% of the above I ran in my racing days.
Jul 2017
9:11pm, 8 Jul 2017
26 posts
  •  
Akie
Great recommendations, will pick a few of those out!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Akie
Any races you'd recommend for 2017 or 2018 around the North West of England?