Best places for a tempo run in London?

1 watcher
May 2013
7:48am, 10 May 2013
First-time poster!!
  •  
Haytron
So whereabouts in central-ish London would you recommend doing tempo runs (of more than 3miles)?

Ideally spots with distance markers on the ground and/or obvious distance landmarks (like one loop is two miles).

Any help is hugely appreciated!
May 2013
7:56am, 10 May 2013
1,668 posts
  •  
Mykey
Haytron-I've used both St James and Battersea Parks in the past. Sorry I can't remember the distances as I used a Garmin and St James can get a bit busy.
May 2013
8:10am, 10 May 2013
1,295 posts
  •  
Old Man
I've used Hyde Park as its such a good size with wide open paths, but like Mykey, used my garmin for distances
May 2013
8:11am, 10 May 2013
1,296 posts
  •  
Old Man
Welcome to Fetch btw!
May 2013
8:15am, 10 May 2013
14,234 posts
  •  
DeeGee
River Lea from Hackney Marshes to the river. Nice and flat, good surface, no roads to cross, regular signposts with distances on.
May 2013
8:19am, 10 May 2013
2 posts
  •  
kingston
I stayed near Queensway a few years ago and found quite a nice five mile route which is to head towards Notting Hill Gate along Basewater Rd, turn left along Kensington Church St then head along Kensington High Stree/Knightsbridge towards Hyde Park Corner then back via Park Lane. OK, this was one I did during the evenings but found it pretty clear for most of the route.
May 2013
8:20am, 10 May 2013
14,235 posts
  •  
DeeGee
So, if we're talking central-ish London, it would be from Limehouse back towards Hackney. It's pretty-much 2 miles from Limehouse DLR to Bromley by Bow Tescos.
May 2013
9:05am, 10 May 2013
1,323 posts
  •  
Hackett
Use a park .... Battersea Park, Hyde Park , Regents Park plenty of room and use the benches lamp posts etc as your markers ...
May 2013
9:13am, 10 May 2013
758 posts
  •  
Dooogs
I'd echo the parks suggestion - Regents Park and Battersea Park are both nice, on either side of the river. If you mark out a route on here (via the Routes tab at the top), you can work out a distance - e.g. a lap of the perimeter of Regents Park is just under 4.5kms.
May 2013
12:09am, 11 May 2013
2 posts
  •  
Haytron
Thanks for all the suggestions guys and gals. Really appreciate it. I've used Battersea and Hyde Parks a wee bit but wasn't sure where in Hyde Park was best. Around the Serpentine can get a little busy. Anyone have a favourite loop in Hyde Park?

DeeGee, do you just use the canal on Limehouse Cut for that 2-miler? Also, are those markers on River Lea the old steel mile markers? I didn't spot them the last time I was there (although have seen them further up stream).

I've also heard about people using the Thames Path around the O2.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
So whereabouts in central-ish London would you recommend doing tempo runs (of more than 3miles)?