Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Best couch to 5km app

3 watchers
Jan 2016
4:59pm, 16 Jan 2016
1867 posts
Tomsmum
Asking for a friend.... Honest!

Are some apps better than others? Free or paid for, does it make a difference?

Thanks
Jan 2016
6:11pm, 16 Jan 2016
6560 posts
Duchess
I used a paid for app by Get Running which was £2/3 as I remember. I don't think here's a massive amount of difference between them, although there are differences in the progression.

I liked it because it allowed me to listen to my own music and it then just talked over that as and when required for the intervals, or random bits of encouragement. I know that not all work that way and some come with their own inbuilt music.

It probably depends what motivates your friend best. The NHS one is free so maybe start with that for the first week and see how it feels?
Jan 2016
6:57pm, 16 Jan 2016
583 posts
jdarun
I think the NHS one talks over your own music too. Haven't used it but know someone who has (and who has now done several 5ks in recent months). It seems like a very sensible training program for beginners.
Jan 2016
7:10pm, 16 Jan 2016
22 posts
Adorescience
I used the NHS one last year. You can listen to your own music e.g. Through iTunes. The app drops the music, talks to you and then puts it back up again. It does give good advice as you go along as well. The main thing to think about is the actual amounts of running and walking. Most programs use the same progression as the NHS one but some move faster - which is fine if you aren't too unfit, but would have killed me. The fetch program is good too and it matched the NHS enough that I could use both - just use a stop watch with the fetch one ;-)
Jan 2016
7:22pm, 16 Jan 2016
8028 posts
Hourglass
Hi Tomsmum... I'm using C25k Free and really liking it...it's three days a week and you get a 5 minute warm and cool down walk as well as the run walks - each session is about 30mins 😄
Jan 2016
8:24pm, 16 Jan 2016
1634 posts
Longwayround [LWR]
I used the free Adidas miCoach app.
Jan 2016
6:24pm, 19 Jan 2016
1870 posts
Tomsmum
Thanks all, it's for my SIL so i will pass all this on
Jan 2016
4:15pm, 24 Jan 2016
33 posts
Fat Tulip
I really like RunDouble (free for the C25k bit, you can use your own music).
Gus
Apr 2018
10:46am, 26 Apr 2018
1519 posts
Gus
After a long break from running due to PF, I've just finished week 2 of nhs couch to 5k and found that I felt really good at the end of today's run. Looking forward to the next one.
Apr 2018
12:18pm, 26 Apr 2018
5195 posts
Red Ant
Fleecy is doing a research study on a 5k training plan (walk jog smile). It's very good, it's free and of course you are helping Fleecy out with participating in her study. I strongly recommend that your friend gets in touch (I'm on week 8 out of week 9 so I'm nearly there :))

About This Thread

Maintained by Tomsmum
Asking for a friend.... Honest!

Are some apps better than others? Free or paid for, does it make ...