Berlin Marathon 2019

9 watchers
Oct 2018
5:06pm, 17 Oct 2018
25,839 posts
  •  
♪♫ ♪♫ Synge ♪♫ ♪♫
The 2019 ballot opened today. It closes on 7 November.

Results will be notified from 29 November to 3 December.
Oct 2018
9:21pm, 17 Oct 2018
57 posts
  •  
mattglen_
How are the odds of getting in compared to London? Are there any numbers on this?
Oct 2018
9:50pm, 17 Oct 2018
166 posts
  •  
roberton
Would like to know this too.

Best I could see are some old numbers (2014) here: travel-run-repeat.com

It quotes "74,707 registered for the 2014 BMW BERLIN-MARATHON lottery and participation is limited to 40,000 runners" which would be a great ratio but that's four years ago and it is well known as a fast course now (and a lovely one in other ways) so no doubt there's more people applying now.

Probably fair to say you've got a better chance for Berlin than London but how much is harder to say...
Oct 2018
9:58pm, 17 Oct 2018
25,847 posts
  •  
♪♫ ♪♫ Synge ♪♫ ♪♫
Most recent info I can see on the website is for 2014: bmw-berlin-marathon.com That's from a very quick skim of the news archive - you may find something more recent.

I expect the number of entrants has increased since then, but it can't be as bad as London. There were a lot of US and Japanese runners this year. I get the impression there aren't huge numbers of (local) charity or fun runners and it has more of an international feel than London.

If you are not successful in the ballot, there seems to be a separate release of 1,000 (first come, first served?) German charity places available. There are also recognised UK charity routes. I have run twice for Prostate Cancer UK who take up quite a large number of places (100+?). Fetchie "Tim of MK" has also mentioned in the past places for the Spinal Injuries Association, but you'll need to check who is recruiting for 2019.

Don't tell everyone, but it really is a great event!
Oct 2018
10:56pm, 17 Oct 2018
5,489 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
I've applied twice in the ballott - one successful, one not.
Oct 2018
11:47pm, 17 Oct 2018
58 posts
  •  
mattglen_
Numbers do look more favourable, I’m very tempted to enter the ballot, I tend to struggle to train over the summer though so I’ll have to consider that
Oct 2018
8:51pm, 18 Oct 2018
761 posts
  •  
Jaffa Cake
According to the organisers FB page there were over 44,000 starters this year. As Synge says plenty of US and Japanese runners. Having run Berlin this year and VLM in 2014, there were far fewer charity vests on display in Berlin

Of those marathons I've run this is my favourite, it was far and away the best race weekend I've ever had
Oct 2018
7:39pm, 23 Oct 2018
549 posts
  •  
andydgg
ran it three times, first time there was no ballot, 2nd time I got a ballot place, third time I got in on the re-ballot for those who didn't take up the first ballot. Great race, the city loves it's marathon.
Nov 2018
6:32pm, 29 Nov 2018
2,842 posts
  •  
FergusG
Workmate got his ballot place confirmed today. I got my second ballot knock back - maybe it’ll be third time lucky in 2020.

Anyone got good news yet?
Nov 2018
8:06pm, 29 Nov 2018
5,565 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
I'm in on a deferred place from this year.

About This Thread

Maintained by ♪♫ Synge ♪♫
The 2019 ballot opened today. It closes on 7 November.

Results will be notified from 29 November ...