Berlin 2012

16 watchers
Oct 2012
5:54pm, 4 Oct 2012
1,002 posts
  •  
twodogs
Really enjoyed it, but plastic cups? Also the expo if you went on the Saturday was a nightmare. I didn't get the problems at the baggage area but then we were there ages b4 the start.
Would I do it again definitely:)
Oct 2012
7:17pm, 4 Oct 2012
15,188 posts
  •  
Ultra Kanga Kazzaaaaah!!
Tbh I'd rather strp on a discarded cup than a bottle and don't think I lose that much time walking a few steps while I drink
Oct 2012
7:34pm, 4 Oct 2012
1,003 posts
  •  
twodogs
One of those things that splits opinions, like headphones in races :)
Oct 2012
7:56pm, 4 Oct 2012
15,190 posts
  •  
Ultra Kanga Kazzaaaaah!!
Indeed :)
Oct 2012
10:06pm, 4 Oct 2012
62 posts
  •  
thuginasuit
All in all had a great time in Berlin, no complaints at all. Went to expo late Friday so no problem and walked to the race ready to run. Just a shame i got a bit too hot and ran out of steam but still managed the sub 4 that i wanted which considering i started in H pen was not bad!
Oct 2012
7:36am, 5 Oct 2012
36 posts
  •  
andydgg
expo on saturday was terrible, why did they crush us all into such a small area with two small openings to get to the numbers when they had all that space sitting doing nothing? madness, will organisers never learn...crowds crushing can easily turn into disaster! Same at the finish, huge area but to funnel thousands through one small area is madness.
Was met by a very aggressive staff in dunkin donuts when I went in for food, think it was toilets for customers only or something they were shouting, needless to say I didn't buy anything, had a big pretzel off a cart instead. First portaloo I qued for at the start had no toilet paper, baggage area was badly labeled but once I was told F meant female I found my drop off easy enough, I was late for the start though.
Great race but crowds for most of the route, I started a pen behind so maybe if I'd started in the right pen I'd have been with runners at my speed. Seeing the brandenburg gate and sprinting only to find the finish is still a 400m to go was tough.
Great race and definatly recomended.
Ski
Oct 2012
10:11am, 5 Oct 2012
283 posts
  •  
Ski
Went to the expo at midday on Friday, very relaxed, no real queues, able to look around and enjoy a beer in the sunshine outside. From stepping off the train, walking to the correct gate for my baggage drop off (checked the map the night before), standing in the queue for the portaloo for a while (always expected) I had no problems with. The starting area was ok and the route well supported. After the finish wasn't great as we waited to collect our medals but then I wasn't in a rush so this didn't really bother me. There was a great atmosphere after the race and I would recommend doing this Marathon.
AB
Oct 2012
12:21pm, 5 Oct 2012
68 posts
  •  
AB
We went to the expo on the Friday and felt it was a marathon just to pick up the numbers. It was impressive with the size of the expo though. I was surprised about how many people were on the route. I was in the 3.15 start and to me it felt so much more crowded than London and New York. I didn't have a great run as at mile 17 my hip was playing up so badly I had to walk the remaining 9 miles. So what was going to be a 3.15ish I ended up with 4.27! Overall a marathon to recommend as no doubt PB's are possible. I thought there were just too many people, I think I prefer the smaller events like The Greensand Marathon at the smaller end and Loch Ness/Abingdon with about 1000 runners. More room is good for me.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Entries opened today :)

I remember having issues last year with finding the right link to enter (...