Berkhamsted Half

4 watchers
Feb 2012
9:28pm, 28 Feb 2012
18,661 posts
  •  
Frobester
Thanks Naomi. I have the doctor's all clear - he told me 2 weeks after the op I could start running again - that was back in November! I started January 1 just to be on the safe side.

Lucky you, Katie. It's a gorgeous course, no?
Feb 2012
9:41pm, 28 Feb 2012
145 posts
  •  
katief89
I love it! Use bits of it all the time on regular runs and it's beautiful. Give me countryside views over town/city running any day.
Feb 2012
9:00am, 29 Feb 2012
18,663 posts
  •  
Frobester
Countryside views and countryside terrain, for me, given my choice.
Mar 2012
9:57am, 5 Mar 2012
888 posts
  •  
Running Beer
Well that was wet. Can't say I particularly enjoyed it what with hills / cold / aforementioned wetness.

The final mile was a highlight at least. I think I managed by fastest ever half marathon mile as I sprinted down the hill to get in out of the sleet that suddenly threw down on us.
Mar 2012
10:15am, 5 Mar 2012
9,615 posts
  •  
Naomi P
Entirely agree with that RB. Shame as it's a pretty course and it would have been nice to have seen a bit more of it.

My splits were all over the place - 6:53 for the big downs at mile 6 and mile 13, and 2 minutes slower around 8:53 for the uphill miles.

Sorry we didn't see anyone at the finish, I couldn't wait to get away and into some dry clothes.
Mar 2012
10:33am, 5 Mar 2012
16,424 posts
  •  
BigChiefRunningBore
Sure was wet but cold too. never seen it so flooded. testing course. kinda glad I did it though. Finchley 20 next up.
Mar 2012
10:37am, 5 Mar 2012
761 posts
  •  
WobblingTime
I rather enjoyed it really. Probably the prettiest race I've done and I'm really pleased I chose this one rather than the MK half. Good support too which was, surprising given the weather. The only thing that annoyed me was the number of folk wearing headphones, after the rules said they were banned.
Mar 2012
10:58am, 5 Mar 2012
9,616 posts
  •  
Naomi P
There were SO many people with headphones. Support was very good considering, and the wet dogs made me smile.

I would never have managed 13 miles in the cold and rain outside of a race situation so I'm very pleased it was on.
Mar 2012
12:01pm, 5 Mar 2012
18,742 posts
  •  
Frobester
Sorry to have missed it but I know that the weather would have made my cold, which helpfully descended for thw weekend, massively worse. It's a lovely course, well-organised, but the bit about headphones winds me up - if you're not going to take action against people, don't say in the rules they're banned.
Mar 2012
12:13pm, 5 Mar 2012
763 posts
  •  
WobblingTime
I'm going to email the race director about the headphones. There were a couple of pinch points through Ashridge that became lethal with headphone wearing folk oblivious to traffic behind them.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Everyone ready for this, then? I fear I may have peaked early by getting in some hills last night. ...