Beginning training for a half marathon

6 watchers
Jun 2012
6:55pm, 4 Jun 2012
First-time poster!!
  •  
ElanorAutumn
I've only started running in January, but made it to 10km distance quickly (although I'm not the fastest runner in the world!) and decided I want to start running half marathons. I think I'm going to simply add half a mile to at least one of my runs a week and gradually work up from there. Any advice out there for little ol' me?
Jun 2012
7:10pm, 4 Jun 2012
4,433 posts
  •  
RichHL
Welcome to Fetch! :-)

What you plan to do seems eminently sensible. There are plans available for HM in the training menu above if you get bored with what you're doing. You can add all sorts of sessions including intervals, hill work, tempo runs but if you're comfortable doing what you're doing, do it. You can add the rest to the mix for variety later.
Jun 2012
7:13pm, 4 Jun 2012
3,913 posts
  •  
becca7
Sounds like a decent plan - you won't be increasing your mileage too rapidly. Good luck with your training and welcome to Fetch. :)
Jun 2012
7:20pm, 4 Jun 2012
2,867 posts
  •  
Oysterboy
What you're planning is pretty much exactly what I did to get up to half distance and it seemed to work out ok!
Jun 2012
7:22pm, 4 Jun 2012
6,975 posts
  •  
Caterpillar
Yay! Welcome to Fetchworld EA! I am too senile toremember back far enough to my first half marathon so I'll let others offer advice. :-)
Jun 2012
8:18pm, 4 Jun 2012
2 posts
  •  
ElanorAutumn
Thank you very much guys! A quick thought thats popped into my mind; I see a lot of people out there at halfs and even 10kms with energy gels, at what sort of mileage do you have to be doing to require such supplements?
Jun 2012
8:24pm, 4 Jun 2012
3,915 posts
  •  
becca7
You don't really need to take on energy during a half marathon if you eat enough the night before and at breakfast. I don't use gels other than in marathons. Different people have different preferences though.
Jun 2012
8:33pm, 4 Jun 2012
21,493 posts
  •  
Nellers
EA, psychologically a lot of people feel the need for energy gels at half marathons. Physiologically if you've trained for the distance you shouldn't need them.

Whatever works for you, though. If you feel the need they won't do you any harm as long as you don't choke on them and they don't upset your stomach. If you plan to use them make sure you try them out in training.

Good luck. Make full use of the experience of the people on here. It's a huge resource that you can tap into. We all learn from mistakes but the great thing about Fetch is that you don't have to make all the mistakes yourself. Some of us have already done that for you.;-)
Jun 2012
8:14am, 5 Jun 2012
4 posts
  •  
ElanorAutumn
Thank you! I think I will just keep going as I am, and see as my runs get longer if I feel I need any help :)
And I am quickly learning Nellers that fetch is an amazing community and I'm looking forward to making new friends on here :)
Jun 2012
8:21am, 5 Jun 2012
21,591 posts
  •  
Old Croc
Sounds like a steady approach to build up. Just get used to the distances. Maybe even try a longer run in training at a slower pace - its all time on your feet. Try a few more 10k races along the way, maybe even a 10 mile race?

About This Thread

Maintained by ElanorAutumn
I've only started running in January, but made it to 10km distance quickly (although I'm not the f...