Beekeeping Fetchies

17 watchers
Jun 2020
9:20pm, 29 Jun 2020
2,463 posts
  •  
Trin
I'm happy to help you there Minnie, like I say we currently have around 20 active hives full of happy bees. We don't treat our bees as a commercial operation, yes we get plenty of honey from them but it's more important to us that the bees are living naturally
Jun 2020
6:33am, 30 Jun 2020
1,266 posts
  •  
xt350 ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ
same here Minnie, any help just shout out. look out for swarm cells in the spring and hey presto you have a free colony ;-)

20 hives Trin.. sounds like a good little venture you have there :-)

I do also try and keep the bees as natural as possible but two years ago i was decimated with varroa and lost 80% of my hives over the winter, so i treat with Bavarol in the autumn and Apivar in the spring. so far my two hives are surviving the winter ok and quite strong.
Jun 2020
8:50am, 30 Jun 2020
2,464 posts
  •  
Trin
xt350, the most we've had was 99 active hives, that was a few years ago. We're happy with the number we've got now ๐Ÿ˜Š
Jun 2020
9:08am, 30 Jun 2020
1,272 posts
  •  
xt350 ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ
i was up to 20 hives 2 years ago... processing the honey is a pain if you don,t have an extractor... hope father Christmas will deliver one in just under 6 months time... in time for our honey flow here :-) ...Mrs xt350 .. needs a few hints me finks :-)
Jun 2020
9:39am, 30 Jun 2020
2,465 posts
  •  
Trin
I bet it is! We've got a good spinner and all the kit to go with it, settling tanks etc.

Hope Santa picks up your hints ๐Ÿ˜‰
Jul 2020
12:40pm, 5 Jul 2020
5,092 posts
  •  
Vancouver Jogger
What % of honey bees (by which I mean any bee that visits my garden in the UK that isnโ€™t some kind of bumble bee (by which I mean a bee that is fat and fluffy)) live in hives?

Do bees fly in straight lines between their hive and the plants in my garden? Could I therefore make an educated guess at โ€˜whose bees they areโ€™?
Jul 2020
12:58pm, 5 Jul 2020
1,069 posts
  •  
Dochart
Honeybees are not native to the UK and while they would be capable of surviving in the wild, introduced pests and diseases mean that feral colonies tend not to survive for long. So, most of the time, most of the honeybees you see in the UK will 'belong' to someone. Bees do have 'flight lines' between forage areas and hives, so with careful observation you may be able to work out where they live. Forage includes water, and honeybees will often forage for water very close to home, so if you see bees at your garden pond or your birdbath then they probably live quite close by.
Jul 2020
2:12pm, 5 Jul 2020
5,093 posts
  •  
Vancouver Jogger
No water in my garden. The bees are all over the lavender
Jul 2020
2:53pm, 5 Jul 2020
2,475 posts
  •  
Trin
They do naturally love lavender ๐Ÿ˜Š and it provides healing properties for the colony should they need it. Bees will self medicate by foraging in certain plants that have the healing properties they need.
Jul 2020
5:56pm, 5 Jul 2020
21,116 posts
  •  
Meglet
I believe they travel about a mile from the hive. So if you move a hive you have to move it either a few feet, or at least three miles.

About This Thread

Maintained by
So there's me and Winniefree, are there any other fetchies either keeping bees or wanabee beeke...