Beachy Head Marathon

26 watchers
Oct 2010
9:48pm, 31 Oct 2010
5,182 posts
  •  
Caterpillar
Eh? You mean ..... oh bloody hell. I guess that being associated with parkrun where we process 600 or more finishers and attach them to the correct finish position every Saturday morning, process the results within an hour and get them up on the website means that we don't fall into these kinds of trap.

Still a bit dismayed that this could happen ... We got a letter with our race number and name on. Are you suggesting that people had the wrong number in the envelope because (a) there was a twerp stuffing the envelopes who did not bother to check that he was putting the right number with the letter in the envelope AND (b) the runners all didn't bother to question what they had a letter saying "race number XYZ" with race number ABC in the envelope.

So basically they don't know who was number 1234, or whatever. That's odd because I watched the finish and the chap with the microphone was shouting out each person by name as they approached. he had a big printed list behind him, and people raised their hands as he announced them at the finish line. Nobody went "eh? that's not me."

He announced me perfectly, club and all. And my tmie is correct. It wouldn't matter but I'd like to know where I came by age category, and all that stuff....

Oh well. I guess the event happened and it was well marshalled and provisioned and I am not likely to complain.
Oct 2010
9:52pm, 31 Oct 2010
28,094 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
I havent even been to the rresults website yet

bit wieird really, as for once i am allegedly on them

The bloke at the finish knew it was me
:)

And i n ow my garmin time
:0
Oct 2010
9:59pm, 31 Oct 2010
11,331 posts
  •  
Chromey
Doesn't really matter does it? You know what number you were.
Oct 2010
10:00pm, 31 Oct 2010
28,095 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
I havent looked up an offiail race result in----------

i cant recall
Oct 2010
10:01pm, 31 Oct 2010
5,187 posts
  •  
Caterpillar
Well, Caterpillar agrees to an extent, but he thinks that the full classified results would be better and is still flummoxed as to what the problem is.
Oct 2010
10:03pm, 31 Oct 2010
28,096 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
well, when you are a shite runner like me

Mind you, i OUGHT to care

I am on results this year
allegedly
Oct 2010
10:04pm, 31 Oct 2010
6,859 posts
  •  
Ultra Kazzaaaaah!!
I'm too sh*te to be called a sh*te runner. Feck all chance of me ever making the results again
Oct 2010
10:16pm, 31 Oct 2010
2,671 posts
  •  
Joe Hawk
Every chance of you getting faster Kaz. Get un-injured , do some running ,a bit less racing and you'll be there before you know it.
Oct 2010
11:19pm, 31 Oct 2010
21 posts
  •  
Tinks10
I didnt recieve my initial number, the 2nd one they sent was a different number, to which neither appeared on the results or the readvised results.

Was I really there at all ??............but the photos, the blisters, the inability to walk for 2 days, oh my head hurts with it all.
Oct 2010
11:22pm, 31 Oct 2010
722 posts
  •  
AntBliss - the great dollop
Caterpillar, well, I guess you were just one of the lucky ones then who got the right number in the right envelope.

And I'm not calling anyone anything, except I know mistakes do happen, and frankly I don't fancy stuffing over 2000 envelopes, so I'm never going to complain.
I do think you're being a bit unsympathetic as I think they are doing the right thing to be studious in their solution - clearly there would be even more carnage and outcry if the currently correct results, albeit with the minimum of information, were appended with incorrect information. Then the complainants would indeed have something *real* to complain about, (which is as real as any of this gets) as it is, all there is to complain about currently is forgetting your own race number.

And the parkrun process is 50% self fulfilling, so people don't know there is a mistake if there is one, and I've seen enough mistakes there (overtaking in the funnel before taking your disc anyone?, timekeeper hit the button too many times ?) so I wouldn't get too self assured about it as no-one would ever know once the results are up. Pick a position and stick your name to it, isn't quite the same as a pre-organised race.

At least when the Beachy Organiser ask people to confirm or correct their numbers you will be one of those who will be able to stand proud and tall and say "I AM THAT MAN!"

About This Thread

Maintained by StringSideUp