Beachy Head Marathon

6 watchers
May 2015
6:09pm, 29 May 2015
36 posts
  •  
Laura L
I'm considering running Beachy Head Marathon this year (i'm probably definitely going to enter it). Has anyone else completed this race? I was hoping for some advice or tips... It's a trail run which I have never done before, although I'm planning to get out onto the South Downs for plenty of training runs in preparation for the race. I ran two road marathons last year so I'm hoping this gives me a reasonable foundation on which to build. Any thoughts or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
.B.
May 2015
6:59pm, 29 May 2015
16,774 posts
  •  
.B.
Hi Laura! Good choice, Beachy Head is a beautiful marathon (as long as the weather is kind and you can see the scenery :-) ) I did it as my first marathon, so woth two already you will be fine. You will know it has some huge hills in it. So training on hills is good. I walk the really steep hills e.g. the start hill and the Seven Sisters. It is really popular with Fetchies and if you search for Beachy Head up there in the top right you'll find a thread for each year which might give you a falvour of what people think of it.
I'm sure others will be along singing its praises soon. Good luck with your training :-)
May 2015
7:02pm, 29 May 2015
2,679 posts
  •  
Bob!
it's hilly.

Right from the start, literally!!!!
the last 6 miles are along the seven sisters from Cuckmere back into Eastbourne, so there's no let up on the Hills.
You'll love it, fantastic scenery. Enjoy your training runs.
May 2015
7:04pm, 29 May 2015
4,596 posts
  •  
superflyguy
Only done it once but I really enjoyed it scenery is amazing living close sector route I'm often up there watching it change through the seasons and never get tired of the views. Oh and the sausage rolls and tea cakes were very helpful :)
May 2015
7:26pm, 29 May 2015
15,949 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Possibly my favourite race
May 2015
9:39pm, 29 May 2015
37 posts
  •  
Laura L
Well that's quashed any doubts that i might have had. Thanks everyone. .B. I reckon i'm gonna walk the hills as well - i'm not planning to run it to get a good time, rather for the experience. I commute from Brighton to Eastbourne every day, travelling through the south downs and for such a long time I've been meaning to run along the Downs. This race gives me the perfect excuse.
May 2015
10:08pm, 29 May 2015
15,950 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Here's my blog on it from 2009:
http://www.fetcheveryone.com/blog-view.php?id=137&m=10&y=2009#blog176270
May 2015
10:13pm, 29 May 2015
15,951 posts
  •  
McGoohan
and this was 2010 (much better weather)
http://www.fetcheveryone.com/blog-view.php?id=137&m=10&y=2010#blog223384
May 2015
10:14pm, 29 May 2015
4,485 posts
  •  
Battlecat
Beachy is great and it sounds like you've got it fairly sussed - walk the hills if you need to and don't go for a time.

On my first time (run it about 5 I think) I remember running up the first one and getting frustrated because so many people were walking. I overheard someone with a lot more experience than me saying 'no point running now, plenty of time for that later'. I understood what he meant about 20 miles further on!

Interestingly every Beachy I've done I've got a time 1 hour slower than a recent road marathon, almost to the minute.
May 2015
10:15pm, 29 May 2015
15,952 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I remember meeting you on those hills Battlecat

About This Thread

Maintained by Laura L
I'm considering running Beachy Head Marathon this year (i'm probably definitely going to enter it)...