Beachy Head Marathon 2013

5 watchers
Sep 2013
10:43pm, 17 Sep 2013
384 posts
  •  
Roma
I need help!! I've just entered this through a transfer and need some info. Should I stay one night or two, and where is best? Where can I find more info on the event, such as registration arrangements, do they have secure baggage etc? I feel woefully under-informed and a tad worried!!
Sep 2013
8:57am, 18 Sep 2013
6,886 posts
  •  
Chicken Licken
Morning Roma fear not!

I am not sure where you're travelling from, but Eastbourne has lots of b and b's big sleep is a good option, but any along Grand parade, King Edwards parade, Marina Parade are a short stroll to the up hill start. Depending on where you're coming from, the starts at 9 and is chip timing - the parking can be a bit of a mare as the top roads usually closed.

booking.com

St Bedes school, has a baggage area, also toilets and refreshments.

I walked it in 2011 - after my husband ran it twice, it's one of my more local marathons and I used to work in Eastbourne, so fmail away if there's anything you'd like to ask!! It's beautiful if the weather is good, but very exposed f the weather is bad!!
Sep 2013
8:58am, 18 Sep 2013
6,887 posts
  •  
Chicken Licken
sorry don't know what happened to that link, was not meant to stick my tongue out!!
Sep 2013
10:02am, 18 Sep 2013
6,888 posts
  •  
Chicken Licken
Forgot the other link Roma sorry....

visiteastbourne.com
Sep 2013
11:05am, 18 Sep 2013
385 posts
  •  
Roma
Thanks very much for the info CL. I'm travelling from Norfolk (about 4 hours on the train)so planning on arriving sometime on Friday. Can't decide whether to stay Saturday night as well, will see what prices are like :) Do you register on the morning, or do they send out numbers, chips etc?
Sep 2013
5:41pm, 18 Sep 2013
6,889 posts
  •  
Chicken Licken
Roma, chips are by collection either Friday pm or Saturday morning - that's usually from the front of St Bede's school
Sep 2013
8:39am, 19 Sep 2013
386 posts
  •  
Roma
Thanks CL. I've booked my train and accommodation, so now I can relax a little and start looking forward to those hills!!
Sep 2013
10:41am, 25 Sep 2013
1,174 posts
  •  
Silver Strider
Had my first trip up on to those hills in a while last night as the sun set. Lovely trip from the start point out to Birling Gap and back, past the Belle Tout light house.

Just a month to go now :-)
Sep 2013
9:08am, 27 Sep 2013
First-time poster!!
  •  
Sal07
Could anyone who has prev done this marathon advise me whether trail shoes are a must. Can you get away with road running trainers.How slipperey does the the underfoot get on the trails.Muddy? Grassy etc.what percentage is on road,if any, Have run a variety of terreins and race distances but not marathons in off road trainers so far. would appreciate any advice.
Sep 2013
5:43pm, 27 Sep 2013
43 posts
  •  
two flush
If its dry road shoes, if it's wet then trail shoes are a must in my opinion as parts of the course are very muddy.

About This Thread

Maintained by Roma
I need help!! I've just entered this through a transfer and need some info. Should I stay one night...