Base training - how long is worthwhile?

12 watchers
May 2013
12:49pm, 1 May 2013
3,536 posts
  •  
paul the builder
What was the goal again (TMW)? Including faster sessions doesn't really sound like base training any more, that's all.
May 2013
2:37pm, 1 May 2013
3,467 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
ptb - The goal is building base, I'm doing this by running 25-30 mpw, mainly at the same sort of pace.

My PBs from 2006-2007 are a long way away from my fitness level when I began earlier this year (and indeed my fitness level now), so before I race again I want to do a focussed period of building endurance. This has been ongoing since 1st January, and will likely continue for the rest of the year.

I'm probably going to do a HM in October, but prior to this may squeeze in the occasional parkrun. Doing 1 faster session every few weeks (be it parkrun or a tempo / fartlek / progressive effort), having lost enough weight to be comfortable doing faster sessions, is I suppose an attempt to get my body used to run faster than the jogging pace I currently do.

There's no target time for the HM yet, this will depend on what parkrun times I run, and with 5 months of further base building I've got no clue.
May 2013
5:39pm, 1 May 2013
16 posts
  •  
oddson2003
Base training doesnt have to be all slow, nothing wrong with pushing the pace a bit,
the idea is to stay in the aerobic zone though.
May 2013
12:25pm, 2 May 2013
3,468 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Good plan, I'll keep it aerobic
May 2013
6:09pm, 11 May 2013
3,470 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Finally did a parkrun, 23:12 was the score on the

A lot faster than I expected, not done any training runs faster than 9 mins per mile. Back in my base training box for another month or so... weight boiling down, approx 54 lbs lost now, many more to go.
May 2013
6:13pm, 11 May 2013
2,526 posts
  •  
jaks
Thats a fantastic weight loss TMW :-) and a fantastic time for your parkrun :-)
May 2013
6:15pm, 11 May 2013
3,687 posts
  •  
Kieren
If you only train at one pace, most of the benefit will be at that pace. Multi-pace base training is more advantageous I think.
May 2013
6:29pm, 11 May 2013
3,688 posts
  •  
Kieren
Oh & welcome back.

In regards to loosing weight, I found it it easier to shed fat when weight training. Now that I have started running again I am a lot hungrier.
May 2013
6:37pm, 11 May 2013
1,234 posts
  •  
Willymo
Ten years is said to be a good base for distance running
May 2013
6:50pm, 11 May 2013
3,472 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Kieren I take your point about one-paced training and weight training, however it's about what fits best into my schedule as I'm currently finishing off a degree as well as working full-time. The training is at different paces, but it is all aerobic, there are quite a few hills and efforts involved.

The weight loss has come about through healthy eating and running approx 4 hours a week. Nothing more or less. I'm not a fan of weight training and will wait until I get close to my target weight before considering it.

About This Thread

Maintained by
I'm getting back into running after a few years with training ranging from intermittent to non-exis...