Base training - how long is worthwhile?

12 watchers
May 2013
12:24am, 12 May 2013
3,689 posts
  •  
Kieren
Good stuff, what ever works, works :)

well done on shedding the weight - that has to be the hardest thing ever. I put on20kg on my time away

chocolate bar = 300 calories
5km run = 450 caoories
1kg fat = > 7000 calories - feck!
May 2013
12:26am, 12 May 2013
7,124 posts
  •  
The Teaboy
1kg fat = 9000 calories...
May 2013
12:53am, 12 May 2013
299 posts
  •  
Craig_
I've spent much of the winter in the gym coming back from a 6 month foot injury and my increased weight didn't really change - but my body shape, strength, stamina, general fitness etc.. all saw big improvements but my weight stayed pretty much where it was - surprisingly. It's only since I left the gym and started running outside that the weight's starting to drop off.

I run mixed distances and intensities throughout the week (including hill work, LSR and intervals) and do as much as possible whilst listening to the body. Last week was probably a bit too much distance so this week I've cut it back and concentrated on the shorter hill work.

I try and eat nutritious food only (no crap) and drink plenty of fluids. The stuff I did in the gym was done purely to get the body working again, put it under some stress and make sure it was able to cope - and seems to be working - the weights coming down and the running performance is increasing noticeably run by run... :)
May 2013
3:45pm, 30 May 2013
3,485 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Interesting approach there Craig.

Entries for Henley HM (October) and Marlow HM (November) are now in, my first races for a couple of years. Neither are flat, and Marlow is the hillier of the 2. Despite this, I hope to improve on my time at each. Exact target time is unclear, but I'd hope to be running something in the 1:45 region initially if I can maintain my training.

Endurance is now at the point that I am hitting a few 10-15 mile runs per month, which is a great place to be 4 months out of a half marathon. Hoping to do another parkrun on Saturday, an easier course than last time so I hope to run well under 23 minutes, having done a solo road 5k in about 22 minutes at the weekend. Also did a hilly 9 mile progressive run and averaged 9 minute miles so I feel I'm getting quite strong.

Weight loss is still happening slowly, so far it's 58 llbs, which works out at 2-3 lbs per week since January 1st. Target weight (when I ran my 2007 PBs is about 25 lbs away now). Still applying a strict disciplined diet as much as possible, and this coupled with the training is prompting the weightloss.
Jun 2013
11:22pm, 11 Jun 2013
3,500 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Off on holiday to Florida tomorrow, weight loss now 63 lbs, down to 13.5 stone. May take a slight backward step when I'm on holiday though I hope to run most days but try not to eat and drink too much unhealthy stuff.

22:29 5k last week at parkrun, 10 miles tonight at 9 minute mile pace which felt very easy. Once back from holiday I have to do my dissertation for Uni but after it's submitted I will keep building the mileage ahead of my Autumn halfs and trying to smash the parkrun time down to 20 minutes. Tempted to find a marathon in late November / December depending on the half performances but not sure there'll be a suitable event - any suggestions.
Jun 2013
9:00pm, 30 Jun 2013
3,503 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
6 months into the year, 596 miles run, 67 lbs lost.

Training held up well while in the US, running in the 90 degree heat was actually quite pleasant once the pace and distance was dropped off.

A long way off, but I hope my Autumn halves come in about 1:40
Jun 2013
9:22pm, 30 Jun 2013
10,280 posts
  •  
What The Actual Fleecy
Wow, EJ, incredible weight loss. 30kg is about what my 8 year old weighs! Must make it so much easier to run :)
Jun 2013
9:24pm, 30 Jun 2013
10,281 posts
  •  
What The Actual Fleecy
I meant TMW, no idea where EJ came from!
Jul 2013
1:13pm, 15 Jul 2013
3,522 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Thanks Fleecy

Dissertation submitted, I'm now getting back to training having spent 2 weeks not running while I wrote it all up. Diet also suffered as I was working on it 7pm - 1am most nights and all weekend.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
I'm getting back into running after a few years with training ranging from intermittent to non-exis...