Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Base Building - what is a good base?

2 watchers
Mar 2014
8:01am, 11 Mar 2014
4226 posts
Jambomo
I have seen people mention base building a few times and I just wondered why constitutes a good base? Mr Jambomo is thinking of doing more regular running and I am aware that I probably never identifiedyself as having a running base as such, though I might have had one, so I can't help him.

What constitutes a good base and how do you build it?
Mar 2014
8:27am, 11 Mar 2014
18283 posts
Nick Cook
I'd get a builder in! :-)
Mar 2014
8:27am, 11 Mar 2014
500 posts
K5 Gus
I'd say it is about being prepared and fit enough to start to undertake a more specific training plan/regime.

So if you want to start a training plan that starts at 25 miles a week, then the base building is getting yourself fit enough over a period of weeks so you can do that pretty comfortably. Or if you're already doing, say 30 miles a week, and you want to start a marathon training plan that starts at 50 mpw then the base would be building yourself up tgradually from 30 to 50, etc

Generally base building would be lots of steady easy runs, not much in the way of intervals or tempos, it's all about increasing fitness and duration. A bit of fartlek or the odd tempo wouldn't be a problem though, again depends on your running experience - for beginners I'd say just concentrate on getting out regularly and gradually increasing number and length of runs. I'd still vary things though, don't just do 3 or 4 or 5 runs of the same distance each week, a shorter slightly faster run, and a longer slower run, and a couple of medium runs is better ( and avoids any boredom of always doing exactly the same run )
Mar 2014
8:32am, 11 Mar 2014
9784 posts
DerbyTup
Training to get fit enough to start 'proper' specific training towards a target race or goal

People sometimes equate 'fitness' to a pyramid and the base is the first thing you lay down and the last to go
Mar 2014
8:48am, 11 Mar 2014
880 posts
FenlandRunner
Gradually build training volume. Along the lines of what DT and K5 Gus said.
Mar 2014
10:49am, 11 Mar 2014
4227 posts
Jambomo
Thanks folks, that seems very sensible :)

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I have seen people mention base building a few times and I just wondered why constitutes a good base...

Close