Base building - a question for Gobi really!

4 watchers
Feb 2013
3:08pm, 4 Feb 2013
4,303 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Just wanting a quick idea of a few thoughts about base-building. Particularly since I'm doing high(ish) mileage weeks (60+) at the moment, but a lot of it is commuting to/from work (4mi ea way).

Is this ok for base building mileage? I'm doing longer runs as well at an easy pace.

At the moment, I'm not really doing any genuine speedwork or similar, but am doing some faster paced runs at Orienteering and the just the odd race here and there.

Aiming for autumn marathon, but need some miles in my legs for 3P and Edale (hence the high mileage), which I will be racing, but fell racing is slightly different to roads.
Feb 2013
3:33pm, 4 Feb 2013
3,596 posts
  •  
Kieren
As I understand it, base building increasing your delivery system - so gives you a desnser capillairy network to get oxygen to your muscles

and it increases you ability to use fat for fuel.

Time on feet is definately needed to increase capillary density over frequency.

Submaximal training in a fasted state might help with the fat metabolism though - since fasting and endurance running are very similar
Feb 2013
3:36pm, 4 Feb 2013
13,571 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I hope so.
Feb 2013
3:45pm, 4 Feb 2013
15,011 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I am no expert Fozzy, but I reckon you need to do a bit of speedwork, as much to break it up and keep it interesting. I do a threshold and an intervals session each week during 'base building'. I think I would get bored just plodding round at LSR pace.
Feb 2013
3:48pm, 4 Feb 2013
4,304 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Johnny - that's why I'm doing some races and orienteering.

I'm more bothered about the running to work bit - I want to know if it's useful!

Speedwork will be added in later.
Feb 2013
3:54pm, 4 Feb 2013
20,114 posts
  •  
Dave A
Maybe make one of the runs a bit longer and have the other as a loosener or recovery. I find for building up endurance aim for an hour of easy running, then a longer run once a week. A bit of mxing it up with a fast session doesn't hurt as long as the easy sessions are easy.
Feb 2013
3:59pm, 4 Feb 2013
4,305 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Ok, to spell it out a bit more clearly. This is what I am currently doing

Mon - Fri (AM) : 4mi easy (commute), PM: 4mi easy (to home)

+ Orienteering race on Weds eve
+ Easy 8-10mi run on Sat
+ Longer run (14+) or race on sun

I am running to work at the moment, because my bike is broken. I am getting it fixed, but thinking about still doing at least 2 runs a week to work. That way, I keep my mileage high without losing too many evenings.

I will then add a speed session in towards the end of feb on a tues or thurs and the Wed run will become a longer 12ish mile run with faster bits in when the wed eve orienteering finishes for a bit.
Feb 2013
3:59pm, 4 Feb 2013
4,306 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
What I want to know is whether the commuting is worth is, or just a waste of time and I'd be better off doing 6miles every evening from home...
Feb 2013
4:00pm, 4 Feb 2013
20,115 posts
  •  
Dave A
So maybe make one of the commute runs a bit longer, but keep it easy
Feb 2013
4:01pm, 4 Feb 2013
20,116 posts
  •  
Dave A
When the bikes fixed how about ride to work, run home, run to work, bike home, etc etc?

About This Thread

Maintained by rf_fozzy
Just wanting a quick idea of a few thoughts about base-building. Particularly since I'm doing high(...