Barefoot running

17 watchers
Aug 2020
10:13am, 8 Aug 2020
408 posts
  •  
snayak
There's a great book by Ken Bob Saxton called "Barefoot Running Step by Step". Sounds ridiculous but it has some excellent tips for proper running from to stay injury free.
Aug 2020
10:21am, 8 Aug 2020
1,217 posts
  •  
BarefootEm
Yes, I would agree with this, great book 😁
Aug 2020
9:41am, 19 Aug 2020
1,516 posts
  •  
VicksterH
Hello all, I’ve been running in Merrill vapour glove 4 shoes this year, built up to it gradually and the only problem I’m having now is that running gravel is really painful on the balls of my feet. I went yesterday and today, my left foot in particular feels bruised. So I’m planning on buying another pair of trainers with a bit more cushioning, anyone got any recommendations or tips? My current plan is vivobarefoot primes trail FG...
Aug 2020
10:20am, 19 Aug 2020
1,316 posts
  •  
BarefootEm
Barefoot trails will help because they have lugs on the bottom and that just lifts the for slightly away from the spiky stuff.

Also, keeping your steps light, and your cadence fast helps. The less time your toes are on the ground the less the spiky stuff can hurt.
Aug 2020
12:18pm, 20 Aug 2020
264 posts
  •  
ZenTaoPlurp
Increasing cadence is proving difficult. 180 is sustainable at 5k pace but I'm down to 166 on a longer and slower run: that's an increase on what is once was, but it's not enough. Any tips or drills would be much appreciated.
Aug 2020
8:36pm, 24 Aug 2020
1,364 posts
  •  
BarefootEm
My cadence alters a lot depending on terrain and mood. How tired I am, how far I've gone etc. I don't give as much thought to it as maybe I should.
Oct 2020
1:27pm, 20 Oct 2020
1,891 posts
  •  
cackleberry
Two questions...

Anyone still in minimal shoes or am I being a wimp? (It's cold and wet)

Do people change their shoes mid-run? Specific example - run across town in my normal road shoes, change in to Xeros to run on the lovely sports field, road shoes back on to run home. The run down and back makes it too far for barefoot (yet)
Oct 2020
1:45pm, 20 Oct 2020
36,158 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I often do 1-2 miles barefoot in the park, but with shoes on to and from, in a 4-5 mile run. Mostly do it in summer though. The numb feeling running in 3-4C dew on the grass is pretty cool the few times I've done it! :-) G
Oct 2020
2:27pm, 20 Oct 2020
2,021 posts
  •  
BarefootEm
I'm 100% in barefoot shoes now, instead of my sandals...

To be honest I didn't use them much this summer as I had a strain to the instep of my left foot and found the support of a barefoot shoe (of which there is none, so I think it's all in my head!!!) helped get me running again.

Roll on summer, I miss the warm grass under foot feeling!
Oct 2020
2:41pm, 20 Oct 2020
1,892 posts
  •  
cackleberry
I need to go and find some mud to run on, proper barefoot. I like the thought of the squishy mud between my toes.

Is that weird?

(suspect it will be all over my backside too when I slip over!!)

About This Thread

Maintained by BarefootEm
Somewhere to talk about barefoot running, ask questions, swap stories etc...

Welcome!