Barefoot running

17 watchers
Jun 2020
2:31pm, 1 Jun 2020
46 posts
  •  
stubiedoo
So ishep- how do you get on with the viva barefoot trail shoes? Iโ€™ve just knackered a pair of inov8 roc liteโ€™s (on the ball of the sole - rest of the sole is largely untouched!!!๐Ÿ˜  ) Really canโ€™t afford to do that too often - just wondering how they are for wear etc...
Jun 2020
2:32pm, 1 Jun 2020
47 posts
  •  
stubiedoo
*Vivo (memo to self - turn auto correct OFF)
Jun 2020
5:41pm, 1 Jun 2020
486 posts
  •  
ishep ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡บ
I've loved my various Vivos for years... some have been a bit fragile and disintegrated over time, while others have been quite the opposite (e.g. one of my three pairs of Stealth - not trail - have done almost 1,300 miles and are still almost as good as new). It's worth noting, though, that it's generally the uppers that wear out before the soles, in my experience.

Regarding their trail soles specifically, I really liked their older style, which I had on a couple of different models. They had lugs that were a great balance between grip on slippy stuff and resistance to wear on tarmac. Since then, though, they seemed to split the options into soft and firm ground versions (SG & FG). Mine are the Primus Trail FG, which have been great in terms of wear-resistance and comfortable on gravel and forest trails, but they're just not as good on the slippy stuff. The SG, of course, would have been better for mud, but the lugs looked quite extreme and I thought they'd be no good for harder surfaces.

I'll need a new pair in a few months when we move through Autumn, so I hope there'll be something more like their older stuff available between now and then. In the meantime, I'm pretty much exclusively in my Xero sandals, so no problem there - Xeros have a whopping 5,000 mile warranty on the soles!
Jun 2020
5:51pm, 1 Jun 2020
487 posts
  •  
ishep ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡บ
I've just been for a nose on the Vivo website... very interesting new shoes called ESC TEMPEST there, with soles by Michelin that have a completely different tread pattern to other Vivos. Having said that, they're also ยฃ170, so I know I won't be trying them any time soon!
Jun 2020
6:00pm, 1 Jun 2020
25 posts
  •  
AndyS
I'll echo what ishep says about the longevity of Vivos - I've only had 2 pairs (Stealth 2, followed by Stealth 3 - both road shoes, since I rarely hit the trails) so far - but they last incredibly well.

Since I wear mine for walking (as well as running), and I'm a little on the large side, then the tread pattern on the heels can take a bit of a pounding - but my 2s lasted well over 1000 miles of running (with around the same again walking), whilst the 3s have already racked up a similar total without showing any significant wear.
Jun 2020
6:47pm, 3 Jun 2020
49 posts
  •  
stubiedoo
Thanks Andys and ishep thatโ€™s really useful - ๐Ÿ˜€
Jul 2020
1:37pm, 18 Jul 2020
5,138 posts
  •  
Vancouver Jogger
So just a thought: apart from running and daily short walks Iโ€™ve not worn anything on my feet as Iโ€™ve been wfh since March. Is this likely to be a good thing, a bad thing, or make no difference at all.
Jul 2020
9:03am, 29 Jul 2020
1,126 posts
  •  
BarefootEm
A good thing! The more time you can spend barefoot the better, it helps to strengthen the feet.
Jul 2020
10:19am, 29 Jul 2020
35,683 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I'd add in Em, be interested if you agree, that the transition to doing things barefoot needs to be done carefully? Otherwise there's a risk that you do yourself a mischief? But yes, barefoot should strength feet. :-) G
Jul 2020
6:05pm, 29 Jul 2020
1,138 posts
  •  
BarefootEm
Oh yes, definitely! Any running done barefoot should be short to begin with, really, really short. With plenty of stretching and calf care after.

Build up your mileage carefully and slowly and listen to your body ๐Ÿ˜Š

About This Thread

Maintained by BarefootEm
Somewhere to talk about barefoot running, ask questions, swap stories etc...

Welcome!