Barefoot running

17 watchers
Apr 2020
1:57pm, 30 Apr 2020
591 posts
  •  
BarefootEm
Somewhere to talk about barefoot running, ask questions, swap stories etc...

Welcome!
Apr 2020
2:22pm, 30 Apr 2020
341 posts
  •  
ishep 🇪🇺
6 lurkers, 3 watchers.... barefoot runners are shy :)
Apr 2020
2:25pm, 30 Apr 2020
1,075 posts
  •  
xt350 🇳🇿
I go barefoot running, but that's because Mrs xt350wont let me buy any new shoes 🤣 I do it on the beach but a bloke in a running club near here does it all the time, even on gravel trails.
Apr 2020
2:29pm, 30 Apr 2020
595 posts
  •  
BarefootEm
haha xt350!

The guy from the running club sounds hardcore! I prefer to run completely barefoot, but don't get the opportunity very often. I find tarmac fine, but not gravel! Grass is lovely, provided it is short and you can easily see if there is anything lurking you don't want to step on! And of course the beach is always good!

The rest of the time I either wear Vivobarefoot trail shoes, or Xero sandals...
Apr 2020
2:48pm, 30 Apr 2020
343 posts
  •  
ishep 🇪🇺
I rarely run completely barefoot (though I do love it on a surface I don't have to worry about). I started in Merrell shoes, back when they were into barefoot/minimal - first Road Gloves, then was very lucky to be sent a complimentary pair of Trail Gloves by them to try out - but then they seemed to lose their enthusiasm for it.

Meanwhile, I had discovered Vivobarefoot at the London Marathon Expo, who sold me a pair of last season's Neo Trails for just £20 - I absolutely lived in them until they turned to dust, so comfortable. I've had various Vivo models since, including Breatho Trails, Ultra Pure, three different pairs of Stealth, Primus Trail FG and my day-to-day shoes for the last year have been Gobi II Winterproof.

More recently, though, I've discovered Xero, and have spent the last two or three summers in their extremely minimal Genesis sandals, or the Z-Trek for when I want a little more performance on loose stuff. I managed a 45-mile ultra without issue in the Genesis, following the Thames from its source to just outside Oxford. Tried to do the same in the 45-mile Green Man Ultra round Bristol, but absolutely pummelled my soles with all the rocks and roots, and had to switch to my Vivo Primus for the last 15 miles or so
Apr 2020
4:23pm, 30 Apr 2020
3,915 posts
  •  
Kieren
If your search skills are good, you can perhaps find one of the best centres of knowledge on the subject on these forums. There is definitely a wealth of knowledge on these forums around the topic.

Back in 2005 / 2006 I think, before most brands were focusing on it, fetches were messing about with barefoot esq shoes, like puma H-Streets or even adapting boat shoes, like vibrams (who saw the niche). Also way before McDougall's book "Born to Run", Nike Frees etc.

At the time people were experimenting and referencing old books like Gordon Pirie's Running Fast & Injury free and newer takes like Pose / chi running. (Of course, older shoes were less padded)

I used zero drop puma H-streets for a while before eventually deciding shoes with about a 4mm drop and a bit of cushioning work best for me. In particular, Saucony kinvara shoes. I like my barefoot shoes for walking and easy hikes. I have 2 pairs from vivobarefoot when they cost less that £35.
Apr 2020
5:02pm, 30 Apr 2020
34,723 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Hi Em, I usually do one or two miles a week in a green space completely barefoot, just by taking my running shoes off when I get to a suitable place mid run, then going round in circles! I believe one or two miles a week barefoot running strengthens my feet and improves my form a bit. But I have no science to back that up. Plus I like the feeling of grass!

I have a pair of Vibram Bikilas (which I bought with my MotM prize back in 2010!) but I never really got into wearing them for running, so I only use them for gym.

Interesting to read this thread and look forward to hearing you on podcast (I'm behind!) :-) G
Apr 2020
5:05pm, 30 Apr 2020
1,770 posts
  •  
cackleberry
I have today ordered a pair of Xero sandals.

I'll be back with questions galore!
Apr 2020
5:36pm, 30 Apr 2020
15 posts
  •  
AndyS
Hi all.

If I'm out of the flat, you can be fairly certain that I've got my Vivobarefoot Stealth 3's on - whether I'm running, walking, catching the bus - or even driving.
Apr 2020
8:13pm, 30 Apr 2020
604 posts
  •  
BarefootEm
Welcome Crackleberry! Ask away, always happy to help xx

HappyG - sounds lovely!! I've been known to start a parkrun in shoes and finish without having done a lap and decided it's fair game! Always gets some funny looks!

AndyS we all wear or vivos most of the time, regardless of activity too 😊

Thanks Kieran, I'll have another dig for an old thread 😊

About This Thread

Maintained by BarefootEm
Somewhere to talk about barefoot running, ask questions, swap stories etc...

Welcome!