Ballot places per charity

1 watcher
Oct 2015
4:06pm, 28 Oct 2015
2,828 posts
  •  
postieboy
I've just filled out my Golden Bond registration and have inadvertently found out the charity I'm running for has got 5 places.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have figures for other charities? It would be fascinating to know how much each of them is prepared to spend on VMLM places.
Oct 2015
5:19pm, 28 Oct 2015
3,653 posts
  •  
Doctor K
Having previously been involved with the Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation they used to pay several hundred pounds for a London place. I'm not sure how they were allocated to charities but I do know that they were always over-subcribed. They offered me one for nowt once or twice but I always turned them down -mainly because I didn't want to run the thing !
Oct 2015
5:31pm, 28 Oct 2015
2,411 posts
  •  
FreshStart
Some vague info here virginmoneylondonmarathon.com and here virginmoneylondonmarathon.com
Oct 2015
7:07pm, 28 Oct 2015
4,707 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
I have fairly limited experience with charity places but I think five places every year for five years is a usual deal. I think they can defer them to offer ten places at once if they wish.
Oct 2015
8:29pm, 28 Oct 2015
3,556 posts
  •  
♪♫ ♪♫ Synge ♪♫ ♪♫
I ran for Help the Hospices (now Hospice UK) in 2007 and 2008 and they certainly had several dozen runners at least. There were enough for them to put on a breakfast in a pub in Greenwich for all their runners and I seem to think (but this may be wrong) that they said that the London Marathon accounted for about half of their annual event-based fundraising income. Definitely more than five places.
Oct 2015
9:05pm, 28 Oct 2015
2,829 posts
  •  
postieboy
Depends on the size of the charity I suppose. Behemoths like Cancer Research UK and MacMillan probably have hundreds each.
Oct 2015
9:29pm, 28 Oct 2015
1,069 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I don't know how many Golden Bond places each charity has although the link provided by FreshStart is the best one I am aware of. A Golden Bond place costs a charity about £350 a year for five years, so they always want a good return from their runners for their 'investment.' The relatively new Silver Bond places also cost the same but a charity can only claim one place every five years.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I've just filled out my Golden Bond registration and have inadvertently found out the charity I'm ...