Back pain - have I slipped a disc?

2 watchers
Feb 2013
6:15pm, 6 Feb 2013
8,375 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
Obviously this can't diagnosed online, but according to 'Dr Google' a slipped disc also comes with pain going down into the legs too, which I don't have. What else could it be?

The pain is in my lower spine between hip and waist level, and it REALLY hurts. I have trouble even standing up straight, and I'm getting occasional sharp pains causing me to wince in agony!

Ibuprofen hasn't helped, so have taken a couple of paracetamol now and am using a heat pad too.

This happened to me on New Years Eve too (not quiet as bad) and I ran a 10k on New Years Day - it wasn't completely fine, but felt better when I was running.

Any ideas, or shall I just resort to wine?

Docs or massage therapist in the morning if it's still bad?

Any advice (or sympathy!) greatly received!
Feb 2013
6:46pm, 6 Feb 2013
63 posts
  •  
Silent Runner
Wine.

That was the answer you wanted, wasn't it?
Feb 2013
6:53pm, 6 Feb 2013
233 posts
  •  
Tomsmum
If you had slipped a disc I think you would be in much more pain and seeking help MUCH SOONER! I did something in the summer and even now it's not quite right, it was not a slipped disk but massively inflamed lower back plus piriformus muscle. And that was agony and I couldn't sleep etc.

Get to a DR and get it assessed
Feb 2013
7:24pm, 6 Feb 2013
8,377 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
SR - that's always the answer!

TM - you're probably right, I would be in a lot more pain. It's agony, but I can still walk around.
Feb 2013
7:38pm, 6 Feb 2013
2,215 posts
  •  
SusiesueH
Wine is always the answer. Hope you get sorted soon
Feb 2013
7:40pm, 6 Feb 2013
24,008 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
The pedantic answer is that discs don't "slip". But in the absence of pain going down your leg beyond the knee, a "slipped disc" is very unlikely. I'd want to have a prod at your back and get you to move to establish which structures are likely to be involved. I'd recommend a doctor or a good physiotherapist in the morning for a proper assessment - massage may well form a worthwhile part of the treatment, but a massage therapist is unlikely to be able to give you a diagnosis.

Stay mobile but don't try to push yourself through the pain, and don't be afraid to take painkillers - paracetamol, codeine, anti-inflammatories, either alone or in any combination. Alcohol is a muscle relaxant, but don't overdo the wine and fall asleep slumped in a stupid position.
Feb 2013
7:54pm, 6 Feb 2013
15,019 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
What she said.
Keep moving, its more than likely to be muscular.
Even if it is disc prolapse, you want to keep moving as much as you can.
Feb 2013
8:00pm, 6 Feb 2013
8,378 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
Thanks all. Have just been for a walk around the block. It hurts but it actually feels better to be moving around.

Have taken some painkillers. I won't drink too much wine! I promise!!
Feb 2013
8:31pm, 6 Feb 2013
2,216 posts
  •  
SusiesueH
Judging by Vrap's post, quantity isn't the issue. You just need to make sure you're lying comfortably while you do it ;-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Liliaicha
Obviously this can't diagnosed online, but according to 'Dr Google' a slipped disc also comes wit...