•  
HellsBells
:-)
Mar 2016
4:43pm, 10 Mar 2016
5,285 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
A marathon with a tea stop, that's my kind of race - there is sometimes tea at LDWA-style events too.
Mar 2016
7:55pm, 10 Mar 2016
198 posts
  •  
Oranj
A friend of mine (one of the people that wrote the Tricurious book http://www.tricurious.co.uk/) trained for her ironman with those baby food pouches, which made me curious enough to look at them in the supermarket but not to actually try them yet ;)

I like solid food when training, but at race pace, only gels etc. won't upset my stomach. Tea = winning
Mar 2016
11:15am, 11 Mar 2016
1,357 posts
  •  
Spleen
@DeeGee: I did Paris last year and I blame my lack of a PB on the fact that the road surface around the feeding stations is like the floor of a Bath student nightclub. There is so much sugary residue from sports drinks and orange peel that you stick to it. You don't need the signs telling you when a station is coming up as you can hear the schick-schick-schick of a thousand running shoes being peeled off the road.

(It wasn't really the road, I went into the wrong pen and set off too fast at the beginning.)

That grumble aside, I remember the feeding stations being very well stocked. But I wouldn't eat fresh fruit during a marathon anyway unless I was used to eating fresh fruit in training.

The stickiness of the floor is less of a problem than that the feed stations at Paris were like a rugby scrum. If you don't want to slow right down, be prepared to use your shoulders, or you might run past the feeding station before you find a gap.
Mar 2016
11:38am, 11 Mar 2016
9,220 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
If you're talking about things like the fancier Ella's pouches of fruit, etc, then I can't see any issue. The fruit ones are lovely - apple, mango, etc. Far better tasty and purer than energy gels.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by skookie
I was reading yesterday that eating the babyfood pureed fruits is a great way of eating during a mar...