Autumn Shakespeare Raceway Marathon

4 watchers
Oct 2014
9:57am, 6 Oct 2014
22,911 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Lol. There you go, we're on a new page. And the word "intersex" will no longer be associated with clare1976 and we can just talk about the Airfield Marathon instead.

Ah, oops! :-P
Oct 2014
11:07am, 6 Oct 2014
2,843 posts
  •  
clare1976
Barstewards :-p
Oct 2014
11:17am, 6 Oct 2014
1,402 posts
  •  
Angel Wings
I've been there in a working capacity a few times and will be there (still working) in Nov too. My opinion on the course etc is my own as I am not working for the organisers.

From what I know of the course everything so far has pretty much been said. If it's a nice-ish day then it's great but it is an airfield and will always have wind somewhere from some direction. And if it is raining/sleeting sideways it is darned horrible!

You count your own laps (there's always a bit of an extra part lap at the end so dont miss doing that) and yes it can be a bit crowded round the cones at the beginning but thins out well on the wider stretches so subsequent laps dont appear to be so much of a problem. I've seen some very fast times run there so perhaps there is a technique to zipping round the cones? All in all, dont do it for the atmosphere - as someone said, just get your head down and go for the time on a non-yucky day. Generally a friendly race - and one I would do myself at some point as & when I am not working at it but would go for the 10k or half as its so close to where I live.
Oct 2014
2:05pm, 6 Oct 2014
2,844 posts
  •  
clare1976
Thanks Angel Wings, that's helpful.

I was persuaded on Friday night that we are afterall having a family weekend away in Portsmouth / Gosport in mid November and I have therefore got race entry and hotel booked for that now the same weekend - but if plans do change and there is an option to race a local HM rather than none at all, I shall consider this one as it's so near.
Oct 2014
7:28pm, 7 Oct 2014
5,897 posts
  •  
Ness
I did the half marathon last November and thought it wasn't too bad a course. Bit wiggly on the 4 laps. I am hoping to go back in November. It's my PB course and I hope to try to beat the PB time.
Oct 2014
8:17pm, 7 Oct 2014
2,847 posts
  •  
clare1976
Must be time for you to bag that sub-2 Ness :-)
Oct 2014
8:52pm, 7 Oct 2014
5,899 posts
  •  
Ness
Hoping to, yes. :)
Oct 2014
7:09pm, 10 Oct 2014
281 posts
  •  
Dave D
I'm seriously looking at the spring version of this marathon, so would love to here some post race comments from those who run
Oct 2014
7:14pm, 10 Oct 2014
5,908 posts
  •  
Ness
November will be my second attempt at this race so I shall let you know how I get on, DaveD.
Oct 2014
7:27pm, 10 Oct 2014
282 posts
  •  
Dave D
Cheers Ness, but even the fact your going back for a second go is a positive review.
Good luck and enjoy it

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Anyone done or know anything about this one: Autumn Shakespeare Raceway Marathon

http://www.fetch...