Automatically upload from Android device?

2 watchers
Feb 2016
10:42pm, 8 Feb 2016
First-time poster!!
  •  
Broadsword
Sorry if this is an old/annoying question - I did search the forum first. I think the answer is no but I thought I'd check...

Is there a way to automatically upload gpx or tcx files from an Android app to Fetch?

I don't own a Garmin (I've always found my phone adaquate) but there seems to be limited information about getting gpx or tcx files from Android into Fetch.

Your input is appreciated...
Feb 2016
11:24pm, 8 Feb 2016
50 posts
  •  
thing
Depends what the Android app is. If it's something Garmin based, you might have some joy - you can push data to Garmin Connect, then Fetch can suck it in from there.

Otherwise, probably not automatic. You can still add gpx/tcx files manually via 'Add Training' though.
Feb 2016
11:44pm, 8 Feb 2016
16,286 posts
  •  
flanker
The Garmin app on Android will upload to Garmin Connect, which will the automatically download to Fetch.
Feb 2016
7:39pm, 9 Feb 2016
2 posts
  •  
Broadsword
So you're saying that Garmin app let me me record an activity using my Android phone?
Feb 2016
9:47am, 17 Feb 2016
5 posts
  •  
Broadsword
Unfortunately Garmin's Android dev team confirmed that they don't currently have a supported app for Android to record a track using an Android phone.

So it looks like they no longer support/develop Garmin Fit - or the "record from my phone" feature within Garmin Fit.

Back to the drawing board!
Feb 2016
9:55am, 17 Feb 2016
11,402 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Hello Broadsword, welcome to the forums. :-)

I know your question was about automatic uploading, but just checking you are aware you can manually upload GPX/ TCX? That is what I do, from my Cranesport ie Aldi watch.
Feb 2016
9:57am, 17 Feb 2016
11,403 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Oops, thing wrote that already. Just confirming ;-)
Feb 2016
12:20pm, 17 Feb 2016
2,110 posts
  •  
Grid
This may not help, but might. Have a look at tapiriik.com - it supports lots of apps for recording runs and whatnot, many of which have Android apps. You could use one of these apps to record your runs, and set up tapiriik so that it automatically pushes that run to Garmin Connnect. You can then set up Fetch so that it automatically picks up anything pushed to GC. Complicated, but it would work. In fact, I used to do just this a while back before I went native and used GC directly.
Feb 2016
12:23pm, 17 Feb 2016
2,111 posts
  •  
Grid
Some of the apps will talk directly to GC, negating the need to use tapiriik. I think strava might.
Feb 2016
5:45pm, 17 Feb 2016
7 posts
  •  
Broadsword
I'm experimenting with tapiriik.com at the moment.
I had a look at syncing strava directly to GC but, unless I missed something, that seemed to be a feed into strava from GC rather than a two way thing.

About This Thread

Maintained by Broadsword
Sorry if this is an old/annoying question - I did search the forum first. I think the answer is no ...