Auto-generated thread tags

12 watchers
Jul 2016
11:11pm, 14 Jul 2016
728 posts
  •  
decorum
Since the AGT and auto related thread connections the header has had a security advisory superimposed at the top of every page ['We have tested this page and blocked content ... etc']
Jul 2016
11:13pm, 14 Jul 2016
17,422 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I doubt the two are related. Do you have ads?
Jul 2016
11:24pm, 14 Jul 2016
729 posts
  •  
decorum
I do ~ for mini diggers and fitness singles (a somewhat unnerving duo, I guess :-o ). But it's only happening here and it's only been since the AGT / Auto Generated Tag thing.

It's not actually causing any issues, it doesn't affect my usage ~ to be honest I only mention it because it's such a random oddity [And, in no way am I going to try to utilise it as a way of manipulating AGT ... Auto Generated Tag ... etc into the AGT / auto generated tag thingy thing :-) ].
Jul 2016
12:01am, 15 Jul 2016
11,141 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
I started to read back but found the chicken-fish quite quickly and surmised it might possibly be a waste of time......So you'll forgive me if this has already been Mentioned.

The "Related Threads" seem to be fairly bizarre on most of the wires on which I reside. One or two are appropriate, but for the main part they're either barely relevant or way out of date (or both). I have no idea how you might fix this, and for me, as a long-time habitant, it makes no odds really but I think that if I was newly arrived I'd be put off by the randomness and pointlessness of the majority of the linked threads. Perhaps you could at least time-limit the references so that one wouldn't end up on a thread that had been "dead" for some years.

Maybe?....
Jul 2016
12:37am, 15 Jul 2016
730 posts
  •  
decorum
[Sorry for the Chickenfish infliction :-o ]

I have to admit that I like the quite random randomness of the related threads bit. Perhaps it needs renaming? 'If you liked this thread, maybe you'll like ...' ???
Jul 2016
9:49am, 15 Jul 2016
17,425 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
AC - can you provide some examples? Here are some examples of where I think it's working well:

Mundane Thread - links to 'A nice cup of tea', 'Yawnworthy Thread', and 'Hanging out the washing thread' amongst others.

'Benefits of giving up alcohol' - links to three weight loss threads, the 'whot u drinking now' thread, and the depression thread.

'Sub 3:15 marathon' - links to 'sub 3', 'Hadd', 'Polarized', 'Heart rate', 'Furman', 'sub 2.45'

'Le Tour 2016' - links to five previous years discussions, and the pro cycling thread.

'Tri Sport Fetch: Smell of 220' - links to 'basic triathlon questions', 'how was your swim', OW swimming, bike maintenance, bike thread, mountain bikers.

'Peanut chasers' - links to RWC, Cricket, football, ashes 2009, and of course, the sandwich deathmatch 2011 ;-)

On the other hand, I *can* see that there are quite a lot of threads where the connections are less clear. But the keywords represent the most commonly used words in those threads - so there are clues as to why some seemingly unrelated threads are brought together. It also illustrates how complex search and similarity algorithms need to be. But perhaps it's just a way of seeing outside the box?

The 'dead' threads is an interesting one - I'm often asked where certain threads have gone - so culling them or deprioritising them seems to be subjective. I've enjoyed seeing a few old ones that I'd forgotten about - and it'll be interesting to see whether it broadens the number of threads that get used. I have been wondering about randomly popping one up from your watch list, with the invitation to post or unwatch - again, I'm not sure how that would pan out :-)
Jul 2016
10:48am, 15 Jul 2016
28,971 posts
  •  
NoFleecingAround
I like the odd random dead thread :)
Jul 2016
10:57am, 15 Jul 2016
17,428 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I've not seen that one :-)
Jul 2016
5:28pm, 15 Jul 2016
11,142 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
I can't find it now but this morning one of the related threads was the one about pictures of girls. It might even have been on this wire (in which case you've already cleverly noticed and removed it).
Jul 2016
5:31pm, 15 Jul 2016
11,143 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
Remembered now. It's on the Route Picture Appreciation thread.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Down towards the bottom of each thread, you'll see a little box titled 'Auto-generated tags'. I'...