Autism

86 watchers
Apr 2020
10:32am, 15 Apr 2020
30,714 posts
  •  
halfpint
Whereas QP is desperate to get out but only for climbing and climbing hills. He could do with some routine but I will not be misusing that change of legislation to take him up a hill. He’s doing ok without it.
Jul 2020
10:08am, 18 Jul 2020
2,752 posts
  •  
Pothunter
Formal referral for ASD assessment for D1 finally gone in. Approx 2 year wait!!! What a complete joke. We’ve voiced our concerns with this with Greenwich (our home borough). We’re also pushing this with St Thomas’s who are treating her Conversion Disorder and have previously suggested they could do it a lot sooner.

The post code lottery of available treatment needs to stop.
Jul 2020
10:32am, 18 Jul 2020
1,755 posts
  •  
Flatlander
Pothunter,

When I was formally referred for an NHS agency adult ASD assessment, I was advised several times that the waiting time was about 2 years.

I couldn't wait that long so I went to an autism charity, had an assessment after 2 months and was diagnosed.

A month after that, I was given an appointment with the NHS agency, only 4 months after my submission for assessment, not the 2+ years I had been told.

Apparently, the doctors had reviewed my case and decided that because of my sensory hypersensitivity episode in hospital in March I was an “urgent” case so that an Asperger’s diagnosis could be documented for future hospital admissions. Also, if a patient were at risk of, say, losing their job because of their autism, they would be prioritised as well. Non-urgent cases are still having to wait 2 to 2½ years.

If D1 has some aspect that could warrant being classed as "urgent", it could be useful to spell it out the assessment team to persuade them that D1 should be assessed soon.

Hope that helps.
Jul 2020
1:38pm, 18 Jul 2020
2,753 posts
  •  
Pothunter
Thanks Flatlander. We’ve got plenty of evidence to classify her as urgent - it’s just frustrating that Greenwich have access to all that evidence and have chosen to ignore it for now. These things shouldn’t be the fight that they inevitably turn into.

If the system was more efficient it would benefit everyone. D1 aside, as a Greenwich resident I’m not exactly thrilled at the blatant wasting of time and money that is endemic.
Jul 2020
4:26pm, 18 Jul 2020
47,594 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
My youngest daughter (22) has asked me if I think there would be any advantage to her having an autism assessment :-O It appears that the child psychologist who told me almost 20 years ago to assume all four children were autistic was on the mark - at the time I said I had no suspicions whatsoever about the two youngest, and the two oldest had already been diagnosed.

(I've told her a label probably wouldn't benefit her provided she herself is aware of and can articulate any difficulties she experiences.)
Jul 2020
5:38pm, 18 Jul 2020
2,959 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Please excuse me interrupting - V'rap - a diagnosis offers some protection in law and can be useful for accessing support in education and employment.
Jul 2020
5:47pm, 18 Jul 2020
47,599 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I'm aware of that, LMH, and my two older children have both benefitted from having a diagnosis, but I don't believe it would be of any practical value for Tink, though of course it's for her to decide whether she pursues a diagnostic assessment.
Jul 2020
6:02pm, 18 Jul 2020
2,960 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Sorry.
Jul 2020
6:25pm, 18 Jul 2020
47,600 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
No probs, LMH, your point is absolutely correct and I don't expect people to know whether I have any experience of managing the practical aspects of growing up with autism.
Jul 2020
9:11pm, 18 Jul 2020
17,060 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I've been wondering if a formal diagnosis for youngest would help, especially with access to support at college. The above sounds like it could. Thank you.

About This Thread

Maintained by Fat Dave
Does anyone know what's involved in the diagnosis process for autism? Is there a test, how does it ...