Autism

88 watchers
Dec 2019
5:42pm, 9 Dec 2019
29,471 posts
  •  
elfpint
Just make sure your psychologist or whoever is assessing is knowledgeable about autism in girls/women. Girls of the spectrum can give every appearance of being neurotypical but it is often at a heavy cost. My 'obsessive' behaviours are over-analysing social situations and going over and over and over situations that have gone wrong. As a teen it was also obsessive interest in certain bands/grunge music more generally - it's not just train spotters. I can give eye contact but it feels uncomfortable.
WA
Dec 2019
5:52pm, 9 Dec 2019
6,376 posts
  •  
WA
I hope I got over how much effort she puts into just *being ok*, and SweetPea said she told the person she was with the same. There were also some really clear examples of how she behaves in the face of unexpected or unplanned events. And her interpretation of language. I feel a bit stunned at the minute, almost as if this morning didn't really happen, if that makes sense. I ran this afternoon, but that didn't settle anything down as it would usually. I'll come to in a bit
Dec 2019
11:27am, 30 Dec 2019
2,149 posts
  •  
Tomsmum
bbc.com
WA
Jan 2020
5:54pm, 20 Jan 2020
6,488 posts
  •  
WA
We had an appointment this afternoon to discuss results of SweetPea's assessment. She does meet the diagnostic criteria for being on the autistic spectrum. I feel a huge sense of relief. It's as though I've finally been listened to, instead of trying to explain her difference and being told *don't be silly, she's bright*. The psychologist talked a lot about the effort SweetPea puts in to appearing to be normal, and actually said that they had made a decision not to speak to the school (as they would normally) because her outward behaviour presents as *normal*
SweetPea herself is not bothered- at the mo she's perfectly happy with who she is and doesn't need a label to explain herself. However, should she need a bit of extra support in the future, we now have a basis for asking for that help.
Jan 2020
6:06pm, 20 Jan 2020
3,490 posts
  •  
mr d
Good news WA
Jan 2020
7:44pm, 20 Jan 2020
29,866 posts
  •  
halfpint
I’m really glad you have an answer and it’s a relief for you. Will they provide you with some useful feedback to share with the school? How long was the process WA? I feel like it wasn’t too long.
WA
Jan 2020
7:54pm, 20 Jan 2020
6,489 posts
  •  
WA
Yes they have feedback for the school, mainly about recognising symptoms in girls, and high functioning teens.

We started the referral process when SweetPea first started her counselling with CAMHS. From that referral to diagnosis has been just under 2 years. I remember thinking at the time that she'd be coming up for GCSEs by the time the diagnosis came through, which felt a bit late in the day. However, she has been through the CAMHS system now and is much better at self management (notwithstanding the stress of exams) so the gap wasn't as bad as I was expecting, and it's come at the tight time for her before she goes to college
Jan 2020
7:56pm, 20 Jan 2020
29,868 posts
  •  
halfpint
Wow! 2 years? It seems less. Glad she’s doing better.
WA
Jan 2020
8:30pm, 20 Jan 2020
6,490 posts
  •  
WA
Thanks. Me too!
Jan 2020
9:07pm, 20 Jan 2020
1,960 posts
  •  
Pothunter
Good news!

We’re at the start of that journey. Got the letter from CAMHS yesterday saying D1 had been accepted. 8 week target for assessment appointment...

About This Thread

Maintained by Fat Dave
Does anyone know what's involved in the diagnosis process for autism? Is there a test, how does it ...