Audio books - recommendations please

16 watchers
Jul 2020
10:11am, 22 Jul 2020
1,889 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
I love Audible. Their app is great for keeping your stuff organised. Great selection of books and you get loads of offers.
Jul 2020
10:13am, 22 Jul 2020
18,047 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
RR I've joined on off several times so got several free books
love it
Jul 2020
10:14am, 22 Jul 2020
10,862 posts
  •  
MazH
If you pick a period in History you are interested in, and get a fiction book centered around that time, you might find you can enjoy the fiction, as it's grounded in facts that interest you.....

I really loved the Invention of Wings, set in early 1800's Deep South, an insight into American slavery, stories from the perspective of the slave girl and the well to do girl to whom a slave was gifted. Was fascinating.
Jul 2020
10:19am, 22 Jul 2020
121,360 posts
  •  
GregP
If you want big and serious then there are some absolute crackers for a single credit.

This is monsterously long but brilliant: audible.co.uk

as is this: audible.co.uk

and this is wonderful beyond words: audible.co.uk
Jul 2020
10:21am, 22 Jul 2020
10,863 posts
  •  
MazH
nice recommendations!
Jul 2020
10:45am, 22 Jul 2020
121,362 posts
  •  
GregP
I listened to Storm of War straight after TRAFOTT Reich and was inexplicably never bored.

The Bryson thing is just sublime.

I'm as a background project slogging through the epic biography of LBJ by Robert A. Caro. It's heavy going, but I consider it a worthy endeavour. This is the first one: audible.co.uk
Jul 2020
10:55am, 22 Jul 2020
18,049 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Bryson is good both as a narrator and the author
Jul 2020
12:16pm, 22 Jul 2020
18,968 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
Our local libraries (Angus Council) are using RB Digital as the platform for lending audio books. My kids love it, as far as it goes, although their complaint is that there’s not enough teen literature and too much D Walliams.

I don’t know how the licensing works, but there’s definitely only a certain number of each of the books available to borrow (just like a text book) and the length of time you can borrow for seems to be driven by popularity.

My young lad has also borrowed Rugby World and Top Gear magazines through the same system.
Jul 2020
12:26pm, 22 Jul 2020
51,274 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Very honoured to have McG describe me as an expert. Problem is, most of the books I listen to are fiction, so I’m not much help to you. I agree about Bill Bryson.

I also use RB Digital and BorrowBox to download audiobooks for free from the library service. However, the choice is much more limited than Audible.

The narrator is all important: a good one can really bring a book to life, especially those than might be a difficult read. A bad one can put you off a book/writer for life.

I’ll have a look back through my library for some non-fiction ones I enjoyed. One I remember is Prisoners Of Geography’s.
um
Jul 2020
4:46pm, 22 Jul 2020
3,000 posts
  •  
um
Would recommend checking your local library. Ours (Wilts) uses RB Digital.

Limited choice, but free. Although I use it more for ebools & magazines.

About This Thread

Maintained by Old Croc
I enjoy a listen to a podcast ( even the Fetch one!) and so am thinking of venturing into audio book...