Audio books - recommendations please

16 watchers
Jul 2020
9:44am, 22 Jul 2020
31,836 posts
  •  
Old Croc
I enjoy a listen to a podcast ( even the Fetch one!) and so am thinking of venturing into audio books.

The big name / market leader appears to be Audible - although I stand to be corrected.

So Fetch minds - any experience of Audible or recommendations to look elsewhere?

and of course any particular recommended listens - will almost certainly be restricted to running or fitness related types. Not a novel reader by any stretch of the imagination.

Thanks in advance.
Jul 2020
9:48am, 22 Jul 2020
46,207 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Hopefully Dio will notice this - he's the expert! :-)
Jul 2020
9:51am, 22 Jul 2020
18,043 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
love audible and have loads on there
the Dan Brown books are good
Also I got my 1st free for a trial and got Stephen Fry reading 70 odd hours of Sherlock Holmes - brilliant!
"who killed Sherlock Holmes" is an interesting book and not normal Holmes
Harry Potter series ....
Jul 2020
9:58am, 22 Jul 2020
10,861 posts
  •  
MazH
Stieg Larson - Girl with the dragon tattoo series are really good as audio books....

It's quite often down to the narrator, as EP says...

something that might seem "too much book" or too daunting, can be a great audiobook.
Jul 2020
9:58am, 22 Jul 2020
46,208 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Oh, while I think on, I got BorrowBox recommended to me the other day - you can link it to your local library account and borrow audiobooks FOR FREE!!
Jul 2020
10:02am, 22 Jul 2020
18,044 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I do like stephen fry narrating
i also love the fact you can return books if you don't like it!
Jul 2020
10:03am, 22 Jul 2020
18,045 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Vassos Alexander is good too
Jul 2020
10:06am, 22 Jul 2020
31,837 posts
  •  
Old Croc
maybe as novels / fiction hold absolutely zero interest for me the appeal may be limited to some extent.

Boss Lady reads loads of that "thriller" type stuff on kindle etc and in real books - as well as watching them on TV - the usual dreary drama papp churned out Luther, Killing Eve, undercover cops and spies bollocks - bore me to tears to be honest.

So it is firmly non-fiction sports and maybe history stuff for me - if that helps
Jul 2020
10:08am, 22 Jul 2020
36,775 posts
  •  
Nellers
The Bernard Cornwell historical novels are pretty much all on Audible: Sharpe, obviously, the Last kingdom/Saxon Chronicles series and the Hundred Years Wars books (Heretic, Vagabond and Harlequin, plus Agincourt). It does very much depend on the reader but they're usually pretty good.

If you like your SciFi the Expanse book series is fantastic.
Jul 2020
10:10am, 22 Jul 2020
18,046 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I also have a few non fiction books such as " the power of habit" and atomic habits
oh Anna McDuff has some good books about her adventures like "the pants of perspective"
Two Brothers is good
"brave athlete calm the F**k down"
Born to run
and I have had a few free books that I never would have chosen that ended up good
or the daily deals at >£2

About This Thread

Maintained by Old Croc
I enjoy a listen to a podcast ( even the Fetch one!) and so am thinking of venturing into audio book...