Attracting volunteers

4 watchers
Jul 2013
2:47pm, 30 Jul 2013
14,661 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Is that Western States, or is that sort of thing a requirement in quite a few big US Ultras?
Jul 2013
2:52pm, 30 Jul 2013
7,120 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
I've helped out at a lot of races. Where there's a goody bag/memento/cakes for runners, I find it poor form if the volunteers don't get the same. A t-shirt that says "crew" on it would be an especially nice touch.

For big commercial races where volunteers basically provide cheap labour, a donation to a charity of the volunteer's choice (I think the going rate here is £20 per volunteer.).
Jul 2013
2:58pm, 30 Jul 2013
361 posts
  •  
redeaston
I have seen some events pay running clubs a fee for each member of their club that helps out. Only about £5-£10 but you also get the help of the local running clubs in drumming up support this way.
.B.
Jul 2013
3:15pm, 30 Jul 2013
6,434 posts
  •  
.B.
Food after your stint is good, Beachy Head have hot food for all runners and helpers. I agree that time slots for long events are good too.

If it is a two day event I suspect runners aren't going to want to volunteer for standing all day on the day before their race, though there may be other tasks they can do sitting down like registration ..of course they may not be able to stand the day after :-)
Jul 2013
3:16pm, 30 Jul 2013
14,662 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Thanks so far.

You see, my plan is to make the event as sustainable as possible, but also cheap. As I see it, where volunteers save me money, I can give that back to the event and the volunteers. I don't need many crew as it's a lapped course.
Jul 2013
3:21pm, 30 Jul 2013
23,661 posts
  •  
Old Croc
prize draw for volunteers? Prize from sponsors.
Jul 2013
3:30pm, 30 Jul 2013
615 posts
  •  
K-Web
Depending on how many water stations you're gonna have then you can always approach local charities (unless you're doing it as a fundraiser anyway) and ask them to provide volunteers for a water station in return for them putting up their banners etc.

I get around a bit on the race front as you know and don't expect anything in return but my views are very different to others as it's the entirety of my social life lol!!!
Jul 2013
3:55pm, 30 Jul 2013
19,373 posts
  •  
BigChiefRunningBore
I suggest starting a thread on Fetch and get some folks interested that way.
Jul 2013
4:29pm, 30 Jul 2013
742 posts
  •  
Silvershadow
Different I know but for our club races, for each race you marshall in the for you get an entry into the draw for the club VLM places. You also get food and drink vouchers on the day and a race memento, the same one as the runners get.
Jul 2013
4:37pm, 30 Jul 2013
26,465 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
The Fred Whitton Challenge is always oversubscribed, and never lacks volunteers because volunteering massively increases your chance of a place the following year. Volunteers are well fed and looked after, and the RD does the rounds of the route during the event and thanks all the marshalls in person. There's also a post-event social a few weeks later to thank the people who have been involved. And some folk just enjoy the buzz and craic and satisfaction of volunteering.

DeeGee, I think your plan is an excellent one. Most runners like to give something back to the sport, and if that "giving back" process is lubricated with a meaningful incentive that won't involve a big outlay for you, that's a potential winner :)

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
I have a plan. I'm saying nowt about it yet because I'm waiting to cross i's and dot t's.

But...