arthritis question

4 watchers
Apr 2012
12:14pm, 13 Apr 2012
7,804 posts
  •  
runner duck
so glad things are moving in the right direction, lorraine :)
Apr 2012
12:34pm, 13 Apr 2012
2,521 posts
  •  
sallykate
I've got arthritic facet joints, is that the same thing...? In L4/L5 and L5/S1 IIRC.

Symptoms were: stiffness first thing, very uncomfortable staying lying down for any period of time, I used to wake around 4 or 5 each morning with referred pain running down my right leg due to nerve irritation from my discs bulging out where the joints are degraded.

Diagnosis via MRI scan.

"Fixed" with facet joint injections. I had two courses; I forget the details but the first lot were less invasive and didn't work, then I had another set which did work, in conjunction with subsequent physio and trying to maintain core strength.

Consultant advised that running was absolutely fine but that the problem will return unless I maintain core strength and is likely anyway to get worse as I age.
Apr 2012
12:36pm, 13 Apr 2012
2,522 posts
  •  
sallykate
Should also add that the diagnosis was from a consultant rheumatologist but the treatment determined by a pain consultant (consultant anaesthetist?).
Apr 2012
3:58pm, 13 Apr 2012
7,805 posts
  •  
runner duck
sort of sounds similar but different :) good to hear that the injections hurt.

lying down doesn't bother me but sitting in the same position for too long doesn't.

i do quite a lot of core stuff anyway (but could always do more!) but the only time i notice running causing a problem is when i'm really tired and my core muscles aren't supporting me so well.

i think that as advised on here an mri scan to see exactly where/what the problem is will be really helpful. i'll book a gp appointment next week. sounds like it was really helpful for you to get an exact diagnosis.
Apr 2012
4:35pm, 13 Apr 2012
446 posts
  •  
mags
I have OA of hips and probably knees and SI joint.I must say I have good spells where I dont really feel it and then really bad episodes for no rhyme or reason.Acupuncture was a great help with my hip pain.Hope you get some progress with your treatment.
Apr 2012
6:46pm, 13 Apr 2012
7,809 posts
  •  
runner duck
thank you, mags. sorry to hear you have it too, tho. yes, i think i've been having a flare up. it's the worst one i've had which is what made me wonder if it was time to get it checked out properly. i'd def give acupuncture a go. i've had ultrasound on it before. don't particularly want anyone touching the area too much tho - i feel quite protective of it!
Apr 2012
9:52pm, 13 Apr 2012
2,528 posts
  •  
sallykate
I had acupuncture too -- made a point of finding a physio who would do it. It worked for me.
Apr 2012
10:08am, 19 Apr 2012
595 posts
  •  
Lorraine
Just back from GP....He disagrees with physo
So I am now off for x-rays and back to see him next Thursday for results and injections in both knees
Apr 2012
10:48am, 19 Apr 2012
7,860 posts
  •  
runner duck
yay and ouch!

i'm going to book an appointment to see the gp today. i keep putting it off. don't know why i hate going so much.
Apr 2012
4:21pm, 19 Apr 2012
596 posts
  •  
Lorraine
if you are anything like me it's because we don't do ill etc

Xrays done......

About This Thread

Maintained by runner duck
hello, hoping for a bit of medical advice here, if that's not too cheeky :)

i was diagnosed with...