arthritis question

4 watchers
Apr 2012
12:53pm, 11 Apr 2012
7,771 posts
  •  
runner duck
hello, hoping for a bit of medical advice here, if that's not too cheeky :)

i was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both hips about 3 years ago. had x-rays, saw the consultant etc. cause was thought to be shape of ball/socket joint.

i had some physio. i also then started having problems with my back which the physio treated and thought it was probably OA in my L4/5 but thought it wasn't worth getting proper diagnosis as treatment would be the same whatever the underlying cause. taht was 2 years ago.

since then it's been mostly ok, just tweaky from time to time but calms down relatively quickly. but the last few weeks it's been consistently bad. i'm not in agony it just hurts, particularly when i move laterally or twist and lift at the same time. sometimes the nerve down my right leg gets pinched so it doesn't work 'properly' and can be painful. car journeys and cycling can get really painful. but running doesn't seem to bother it - i don't think i'm kidding myself with that. i also have to lift heavy and awkward stuff with work. one bag can weigh 18kg. sometimes carrying that i feel every step.

any advice on what to do would be gratefully received.

is it worth going to my gp? or the physio? do i *need* a proper diagnosis? (i know from kind advice on here before that xrays of the spine aren't to be recommended. i do have private health insurance so might a scan be helpful)
will anti-inflammatories help?

will cycling be making it worse or is it just that it's making it sore? will carrying the heavy weights be causing a problem or again just hurting?

sorry, that's a long post. if you've got this far - thank you!
Apr 2012
1:16pm, 11 Apr 2012
41,080 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
MRI spine would be most helpful, as would be an opinion from a spinal surgeon as to your treatment options

I know nothing about cycling but am assuming you have had someone look at your bike/seat height and all that too

Good luck
Apr 2012
1:30pm, 11 Apr 2012
12,410 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Sounds sciatic, might need intervention.
GP for assessment and then to MRI if necessary.

Anti-inflammatories may help, but they may not.
I wouldn't carry anything heavy.
Apr 2012
2:23pm, 11 Apr 2012
7,772 posts
  •  
runner duck
thank you, both :)

i was all measured for the bike, ph, but it's going in for a service next week and i'm going to get them to check the seat position as i think it could be a bit further back.

it's looking like i ought to see the gp, then. don't like to hassle unnecessarily so it's good to know i won't be :)
Apr 2012
2:32pm, 11 Apr 2012
27,072 posts
  •  
oldbiddy
Hope you get the help you need RD :)
Apr 2012
2:37pm, 11 Apr 2012
587 posts
  •  
Lorraine
I am off to see the biomechanics people again......will be telling them that I NEED an x ray, really fed up with it all now. See you on Saturday RD :-)
Apr 2012
3:42pm, 11 Apr 2012
7,773 posts
  •  
runner duck
have you not had an xray at all, lorraine?
Apr 2012
4:15pm, 11 Apr 2012
588 posts
  •  
Lorraine
No they keep umming and arrring about it.So far I have gone along with all their ideas.....we shall see what tomorrow brings
Apr 2012
6:06pm, 11 Apr 2012
7,775 posts
  •  
runner duck
seems daft not to just xray it, really. fingers crossed they agree to it tomorrow.
Apr 2012
10:07am, 13 Apr 2012
590 posts
  •  
Lorraine
Yesterday i got signed of from the Biomechanics people,this morning I saw the Physio people.....result
I am being refered to a consultant :-) Back to my GP next week to ask for this to be done privatly
My physio agrees with me that is is arthritus in both knees

I finally feel like I am getting somewhere.....

About This Thread

Maintained by runner duck
hello, hoping for a bit of medical advice here, if that's not too cheeky :)

i was diagnosed with...