Arthritis

9 watchers
Jan 2021
10:18am, 18 Jan 2021
7,274 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Debbs, I understand completely and you have my sympathy. I went through a prolonged period where I ran with severe pain and I did everything I could to manage it. I did attempt to use some mind games to "put the pain on a lower floor" and to some extent this was successful, it's just really exhausting and if you're already using your energies to stay upright and moving forward, it can be too much. Worth looking at mental coping strategies though, I thought it was better than drugging myself with codeine every time I went for a run.
Mar 2021
5:23pm, 9 Mar 2021
147 posts
  •  
MadWelshWoman
Hello, I have been reading through this thread and am grateful that it provides some hope! I have knee osteoarthritis, was diagnosed a few years ago but it wasn't too bad and I kept running until double achillies injuries stopped me! On top of that I had a second knee dislocation 15 months ago (first one was many years ago) that has played havoc. I have attempted C25K a couple of times in the last 6 months but can't get past the first couple of weeks. I have had an MRI and awaiting results from my consultant. Interestingly, the MRI picked up a lump in the muscle behind my knee which the radiologist thinks is a ganglion.

I am walking 4-5 miles most days, desperate to run but don't want to make things worse. At 55, I really hope I have a few years of running left!
I don't take painkillers if I can help it, but maybe this is the way forward?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Have run to a reasonable if slow standard between ages 45 and 55 - completed a slow marathon aged 50...