Arthritic knee

1 watcher
Oct 2014
1:42pm, 17 Oct 2014
11 posts
  •  
hookyspelooky
It's taken a long time to get to diagnosis, but finally I've been told I have arthritis in my knee. Initially it had been thought it might be torn meniscus (back in April) but after an MRI last week it seems it isn't. I have arthritis on all three faces of my right knee, most severely behind the patella. I'm being referred to the orthopaedic surgeon for treatment options - steroid injections, washing of the joint etc. Replacement extremely unlikely apparently, as I'm only 36. (I dislocated the knee when I was 14 and apparently that has contributed to the severity at this age)

Now, I generally don't have pain when I'm running. It's generally day to day that I have pain, swelling, locking of the joint and the like. The Dr has said to be prepared to be told to stop running, but that he wasn't going to tell me that himself. He did say to think of alternatives just in case.

It took me a long time to find running and now that I have I'll be gutted if I have to stop. I'm prepared to be resigned to giving up the longer distance stuff if I have to, but to stop entirely is an awful thought.

So, does anyone have any experience of arthritis in the knee, treatments, running with it etc?
Oct 2014
5:18pm, 17 Oct 2014
23,003 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Sorry, no, but my mum (old, non-runner, totally not relevant to you!) has recently been diagnosed with a type of arthritis. But... we've been told that there are different types and depending on the blood test results if it is acute type, it can go within 2-3 months with treatment. But if it's rheumatoid (I think) then it will probably be chronic and not much treatment available, just physio, OT to help one cope. Sorry, not much use there. Hope you get it sorted or can run through somehow. :-) G
Oct 2014
11:51am, 21 Oct 2014
12 posts
  •  
hookyspelooky
Thanks G. I'm just waiting for the ortho appointment now. I know it's osteo and I know I'm probably in for the long haul, it's the uncertainty over whether it can be managed or somehow dealt with so I can carry on running.

Hope your Mum does OK.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by hookyspelooky
It's taken a long time to get to diagnosis, but finally I've been told I have arthritis in my knee...