Arse Haematoma

1 watcher
Feb 2012
6:29pm, 28 Feb 2012
3,809 posts
  •  
quimby
Hello. I slipped on the ice two and a half weeks ago. Landed on bum, ribs, shoulder, then head. I went to A&E because of the head (I was sick & dizzy), but the doctor pronounced my head OK. He did, however, explain that I had an "impressive" haematoma on my left buttock. After two weeks of total black bottom, the colours have started to fade, but I still have a massive lump, about the size of a tennis ball. I am bloody fed up and in pain. Is there *anything* I can do other than ice? I've mostly been sitting (carefully) around being miserable and taking ibuprofen. Not much exercise, I feel a bit wobbly with the feel of the thing there. The doctor at A&E said he didn't want to lance it for fear of introducing infection. I am equally keen on not being lanced, but how long can I expect this to last? I need to go back to work next week (just had 2 weeks "holiday" which have been rather ruined by this) and I am fretting about it. Any advice keenly welcomed. Ta. (And no, I'm not putting a photo in the gallery.)
Feb 2012
6:33pm, 28 Feb 2012
18,038 posts
  •  
Maclennane
double sympathy - for the injury and for the extra social difficulties in it being arse-related
Feb 2012
6:34pm, 28 Feb 2012
441 posts
  •  
Jubear
Dear Quimby, I am not laughing, but... I had a similar thing on my face a few years ago (yes, i'd been punched in it :-) )and I remember the lumpiness under the bruise took a couple of weeks to flatten. In fact I went to the quack cos I was that worried but he thought it was normal with that sort of bruising.
Feb 2012
6:37pm, 28 Feb 2012
39,704 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
if its not getting bigger and not obviously infected ie red skin over the top, then , yeah, you just have to waitMega sympathies
Feb 2012
6:37pm, 28 Feb 2012
3,810 posts
  •  
quimby
Thank you for the sympathy. My trousers are mostly too tight. Living in baggy ones. Jubear - it's already been 2.5 weeks - but the lump on your face can't have been as big as the one on my bum... I hope.
Feb 2012
6:39pm, 28 Feb 2012
3,811 posts
  •  
quimby
Hippo - ta. It's not red, in fact the skin on the main lump is white and all the colour is across the buttock & down the thigh now. Trying some arnica gel but I don't think it really helps. Fed up of having to sleep on one side.
Feb 2012
6:42pm, 28 Feb 2012
39,705 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
It sounds mega impressive, and it that was me, I *would * be taking a photo!

Cmon, your flickr friends want to see
Feb 2012
6:47pm, 28 Feb 2012
3,813 posts
  •  
quimby
I have taken many photos. I *may* try and edit some to look decent enough to post, once looking at it doesn't make me cry. At the moment I feel woozy when I think of all the blood.
Feb 2012
6:50pm, 28 Feb 2012
39,706 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
hm, maybe you should have a full blood count done

you may need iron!
Feb 2012
6:54pm, 28 Feb 2012
3,814 posts
  •  
quimby
I think perhaps it is just my squeamishness making me feel woozy. I'm usually OK so long as I don't *look* at it or *think* about the fact that it's blood.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by quimby
Hello. I slipped on the ice two and a half weeks ago. Landed on bum, ribs, shoulder, then head. I we...