Are xc races too elitist?

11 watchers
Dec 2018
2:43pm, 18 Dec 2018
8,533 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
It’s not ‘free’ but the club pays the entry fee.
Dec 2018
2:43pm, 18 Dec 2018
8,534 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
It’s not ‘free’ but the club pays the entry fee.
Dec 2018
2:46pm, 18 Dec 2018
65,708 posts
  •  
Gobi
indeed SoaPM
Dec 2018
2:53pm, 18 Dec 2018
6,740 posts
  •  
Jambomo
Perhaps the elitism, or perception of elitism, varies in different parts of the country. It wouldn't be unexpected, with so many people participating in and organizing races, its bound to vary in degrees in terms of how they are organised and what the organizers allow.
Dec 2018
3:03pm, 18 Dec 2018
12,534 posts
  •  
Ultracat
As an older slow runner I ran xc recently. I knew I would be at the back of the field and was lapped by the fast runners but I was cheered and encouraged all the way round by marshalls and spectators. It was an good experience but not sure I would do it again as it’s tough running in muddy fields.

Entry was paid by club and medals were only for first three.
Dec 2018
3:31pm, 18 Dec 2018
29,871 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas and Happy NewG(rrr)
Oh yeah, no medals. But lots of muddy fun! :-) G
Dec 2018
3:45pm, 18 Dec 2018
13,062 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Our league has men's and women's races together - only separating at the finish funnels. Our club encourages anyone who wants to run to have a go, whether they will 'count' or not, and as far as I am aware so do the other clubs in the league. Numbers have shot up in recent years - to the extent that some of our courses are struggling to cope. The standard is high - some of the tougher courses are challenging for beginner runners, but they are all welcomed (although admittedly encouraged to step aside if they are being lapped).
I think use of the word 'elitist' in this context detracts from the fact that some seriously talented runners take part - they are simply amazing to watch. I take part in the county championship for my club each year knowing I am likely to finish in the bottom 25% - but that's ok, I am still applauded across the line and it must be bloody obvious that I am trying as hard as everyone else! I feel quite honoured to be in the same race.
Dec 2018
4:12pm, 18 Dec 2018
9,763 posts
  •  
Garfield
When I was doing XC with my old club back in 2013, 2014, I was one of the slowest but everyone was very supportive, not only my club but other competitors as well. I remember the first race...I came in dead last and the next race's lads were coming through past me too!! The second year I did it, I got marginally quicker and managed to beat a few people who had beat me the previous year. The club paid the entries for us.
Dec 2018
5:53pm, 18 Dec 2018
6,366 posts
  •  
The_Saint
In South Wales we have a bit of the "we don't want to affiliate to UKA, because that makes us cool but we want all the benefits of doing so" which is a bit baffling all round.
Dec 2018
6:33pm, 18 Dec 2018
3,680 posts
  •  
Cyclopstheoneeyedreindeer
No. As an older slower runner I can run our local xc league for £7 for the first race (which includes the number) and £4 for subsequent races and have a jolly day out up and down the hills and in the mud.

About This Thread

Maintained by postie_mark
Does anyone think that xc are too elitist? My running club does not take part in any xc races such ...