;-o you tart Pebbs!

oh she said "socks"

:-p
Mar 2015
2:36pm, 19 Mar 2015
675 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
I would probably run any of them if it looked a good course - £10-12 is still cheaper than most 10k's around here. It's nice to have a momento, but not essential :)
Who's your target market? Mostly beginners - a medal will get you more entries for the shiny, mostly club runners - bragging rights should be enough ;)
Mar 2015
2:44pm, 19 Mar 2015
25,572 posts
  •  
Old Croc
We have held a race for a number of years but last year the trunout was a record low - 107 finishers. Looking to relaunch it this year - new date, new name and new location - Brodie Castle in Moray providing a great setting. Hopefull a good mix of club runners (District 10k champs) and beginners / jogscotland runners.
Mar 2015
2:46pm, 19 Mar 2015
1,694 posts
  •  
MarkyMarkMark
Haven't noticed a falling off of medals (or at least, not of giving them :-)) particularly in the 12 years of running-ness.

Great Runs give them away with everything, even if it was for showing up, I think! Jane Tomlinson/Run for All also dish them out every time, even though they're "only" 10ks.
Local (club?) runs seem to do technical T-shirts now and no medals - although I never used to run in those to know what they used to do! I've go so many technical tees these days, and a few of them actually fit.....
I'm running out of cotton tees though - they seem to have aged faster than me! Still like my old Thirsk 10 ones though.

And medals - most sit at the bottom of the drawer after the first few months of ownership. I still like to get one though for anything I've really tried at! So that's really 1/2s and up.
Mar 2015
2:54pm, 19 Mar 2015
5,729 posts
  •  
The_Saint
I try to avoid being given a medal as they are only going to end up in the recycling when I get home. Would vastly prefer nothing, failing that a well-designed & interesting tech shirt in the right size and not white or a usable towel.
Mar 2015
2:58pm, 19 Mar 2015
71,447 posts
  •  
santababy
If you're looking to attract new runners, medal is essential but doesnt have to be blingy. Read a blog other day of someone who did first half was gutted not to get medal. So her OH ordered one online for her
Mar 2015
3:54pm, 19 Mar 2015
94 posts
  •  
Pebbs
Old croc - *spits water out, laughing on a train*
Mar 2015
3:59pm, 19 Mar 2015
25,573 posts
  •  
Old Croc
LOL
Mar 2015
6:34pm, 19 Mar 2015
4,324 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Don't take medals as a rule (possibly would for certain v long ultras if I ever finish them).

Appreciate they appeal to some though. Always surprise the people handing them out by refusing mine.
Mar 2015
6:42pm, 19 Mar 2015
66 posts
  •  
snayak
I would rather not receive anything if it meant a cheaper entry fee. T-shirts, medals, they're all disposable. The only thing I'm sentimental about is race numbers. I've saved every one.

About This Thread

Maintained by GimmeMedals
When I started racing in 2010, most races gave a cotton tshirt to the finishers, especially 10ks. 10...